Minor-planets sentence example
- This is true not only of the major planets Mercury, Venus, the Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune; it is also true of the host of more than five hundred minor planets.
- The failure of the method based on transits of Venus led to an international effort carried out on the initiative of Sir David Gill to measure the parallax by observations on those minor planets which approach nearest the earth.
- Outside of this group lies the zone of minor planets or asteroids.
- But there is an obvious gap between the two groups of major planets which is filled by the group of minor planets.
- All the known minor planets have the same common direction, but their orbits generally have a greater eccentricity and mutual inclination.Advertisement
- Sir David Gill derived a highly satisfactory value of 8.78" for the long-sought constant from the opposition of Mars in 1877, and from combined heliometer observations at five observatories in 1888-1889 of the minor planets Iris, Victoria and Sappho, the apparently definitive value of 8.80" (equivalent distance, 92,874,000 m.).
- Examples include finding novae, SNRs, or minor planets using a blink photometer.
- All the major planets and many of the minor planets revolve in elliptic g FIG.