Milice sentence example
- His Histoire de la milice francaise, &c. (1721) is superior to his Histoire de France, and may still be consulted with advantage.
- The French army (about 7000 cavalry and 30,000 infantry) took ground exactly opposite to the enemy and in a similar formation, cavalry on the wings, infantry, including the milice des communes, in the centre, Philip with the cavalry reserve and the Oriflamme in rear of the foot.
- This included setting up the milice, an adjunct police force which had the primary mission of tracking down and arresting the rebel maquis who were still resisting the German occupation with the help of the British.
- However, the milice also served as a police force, in particular to help prevent and control riots.
- While local police forces were still wearing the same local uniforms as always, the milice had special uniforms denoting their connection with the Vichy government.Advertisement
- The standard uniform had a beret, also in dark blue, with the milice badge (identical to the one on the breast pocket) denoting membership.