Metayer sentence example
- The metayer system was in vogue, especially on temple lands.
- The principal landowners, who reside in fortified houses, are all Moslems; their estates are cultivated on the metayer system.
- Interest was rarely charged on advances by the temple or wealthy landowners for pressing needs, but this may have been part of the metayer system.
- The mountainous slopes of Biscay arestudded with the traditional Basque caserio, or farmhouse, in which the peasantry live on the metayer system, dividing theprofits of the soil with absentee landlords.
- This culture-system worked fairly during Van den Bosch's tenure of office, but gave rise to many abuses between 1833 and 1844, involving, as it did, a combination of the metayer and corvee systems.Advertisement
- He strongly condemned the metayer system, then widely prevalent in France, as "perpetuating poverty and excluding instruction" - as, in fact, the ruin of the country.