Mesmerism sentence example
- Dr John Elliotson and his followers attributed the phenomena to mesmerism.
- Is it like evoking some kind of collective mesmerism whereby we all sense each others ' presence and even react to it?
- Topics covered include phrenology, mesmerism and hypnotism, Freudian psychoanalysis, IQ testing, cognitive sciences and evolutionary psychology.
- It should be noted that expectations favourable to the new idea had already been created by the interest in mesmerism and the phenomena of hypnotic trance (see Hypnotism), widely diffused at this time both in America and Europe.
- In 1768, recognized as a man who had both the ability and the means for a scientific career, he was nominated adjoint chimiste to the Academy, and in that capacity made numerous reports on the most diverse subjects, from the theory of colours to water-supply and from invalid chairs to mesmerism and the divining rod.Advertisement
- The first lecture was principally devoted to mesmerism; its history and utility as a sanative art.
- It was in this form that he criticized the " atheistic mesmerism " to which his sister Harriet had committed herself, and she never forgave his criticism.
- The introduction of alchemy and mesmerism led to its dissolution in 1789, but its work was continued by the society " Pro fide et charitate," which existed from 1796 to 1820.