Merchantman sentence example
- 30 he had sighted the lofty ranges of the Andes, and the " Prinz Eitel Friedrich," an armed merchantman, had been sent into Valparaiso to coal, while the squadron cruised at slow speed out of sight of the port.
- He pointed out the disadvantage of a submarine in attempting to stop such an armed vessel for search, and emphasized that armament on a merchantman had every appearance of being offensive.
- Early in the year he captured a valuable Spanish merchantman off Ferrol.
- She later damaged another merchantman and scored four hits on the Kent Class cruiser HMS Berwick before withdrawing.
- The Lord Stewart was 248 foot long, 1445 ton armed merchantman.Advertisement
- In June 1748 FOX brought into Kinsale a French merchantman of 230 tons bound to Bordeaux from Martinique with sugar and coffee.
- In all, HMS Breconshire made more trips to Malta than any other merchantman.