Menaces sentence example
- In spite of his near relationship to the Protector's family, he was one of the most violent opponents of the assumption by Cromwell of the royal title, and after the Protector's death, instead of supporting the interests and government of his nephew Richard Cromwell, he was, with Fleetwood, the chief instigator and organizer of the hostility of the army towards his administration, and forced him by threats and menaces to dissolve his parliament in April 1659.
- Tudor policy did its work well, and noblemen, however illustrious their pedigrees, could no longer be counted as menaces by the Crown, which was, indeed, finding another rival to its power.
- On the 1st Prairial he presided over the Convention, and remained unmoved by the insults and menaces of the insurgents.
- In 1902 her position was strengthened by the alliance with England; in 1903 her army, though in the event it proved almost too small, was considered by the military authorities as sufficiently numerous and well prepared, and the arguments of the Japanese diplomatists stiffened with menaces.
- In these proceedings there was no semblance of respect for law or justice, the Lords yielding (4th of January 1645) to the menaces of the Commons, who arrogated to themselves the right to declare any crimes they pleased high treason.Advertisement
- Macpherson is said to have sent Johnson a challenge, to which Johnson replied that he was not to be deterred from detecting what he thought a cheat by the menaces of a ruffian.
- From this unassailable standpoint he never swerved, despite the promises and even the menaces both of the eastern and the western powers.
- To meet the increase in the French army, and the open menaces in which the Russian press indulged, a further increase in the German army seemed desirable.
- avian pandemic menaces not only our poultry farmers, but potentially ourselves.
- No more taunts on my " intellect, " no more menaces of grating public shows!Advertisement
- Even in the animal world, the highest stage of nature, he saw a failure to reach an independent and rational system of organization; and its feelings under the continuous violence and menaces of the environment he described as insecure, anxious and unhappy.
- No more taunts on my " intellect, " no more menaces of grating public shows !
- Wayne Davis (Gary Cole) menaces Katherine and later kidnaps Katherine and Bree after he learns the truth about Dylan.
- After long-protracted menaces, he attacked the British at Kirkee, but failed utterly, and fled a ruined man.