Melilla sentence example
- Between Spain and Morocco a treaty of the 5th of March 1894 established between the Camp of Melilla and Moroccan territory a zone within which no new roads were to be made, no herds to be allowed to graze, no land to be cultivated, no troops of either party, or even private persons carrying arms, to set foot, no inhabitants to dwell, and all habitations to be razed.
- Of these colonies the most important, beginning from the west, were Lixus on the Atlantic, Tingis (Tangier), Rusaddir (Melila, Melilla), Cartenna (Tenes), Iol or Caesarea (Cherchel), Icosium (Algiers), Saldae (Bougie), Igilgili (Jijelli) and Sitifis (Setif).
- Melilla, the first place captured by Spain on the African mainland, was seized from the Moors in 1490.
- In 1893 the Ruffians besieged Melilla and 25,000 men had to be despatched against them.
- Apart from Ceuta, Spain possesses on the Moroccan seaboard Melilla, Alhucemas, Penon de Ia Gomera, Ifni, and the Chaffarinas islets.Advertisement
- Melilla, Ifni, &c 40 15,000
- The active army is divided into 56 regiments of the line with 2 battalions each, 20 battalions of rifles or cazadores, 2 Balearic Islands, I Melilla, 4 African battalions of light infantry, 2 battalions of rifles in the Can.aries.
- The cavalry includes a squadron of royal horse guards, 28 regiments of the line, remount and dpt establishments, 4 regional squadrons in Majorca, the Canaries, Ceuta, Melilla.
- The trouble, long brewing, broke out in July, with the attack by the Riff tribesmen upon the workmen engaged on the railway being built to connect Melilla with the mines in the hills, held by Spanish concessionaires.
- In 1893 he was selected to command the Spanish army at Melilla, and went to the court of Morocco to make an advantageous treaty of peace, which averted a war.Advertisement