Mela sentence example
- The first hint to reach Europe concerning the existence of habitable lands to the eastward of the Ganges is to be found in the writings of Pomponius Mela
- In Mela we find the Druids teaching in the depths of a forest or in caverns.
- The greater part is taken from Pliny's Natural History and the geography of Pomponius Mela.
- Tumuli, too, are found throughout northern Africa, the"most celebrated being that near Cherchel, the Kubr-er-Rumia (" tomb of the Christian lady "), which was regarded by Pomponius Mela as the royal burying-place of the kings of Numidia.
- It is here that the great festival called the Magh mela is held.Advertisement
- Pomponius Mela says that the Cimbri and Teutones dwelt on the Sinus Codanus, the latter also in Scandinavia (or Sweden).
- Other early Roman writers, Mela and Pliny, mention the country under the name Scandinavia (Skane), a name which in native records seems always to have been confined to the southernmost district in the peninsula.
- According to Pliny and Pomponius Mela, who both wrote in the 1st century A.D., it was the rival of Cordova and Seville.
- Pomponius Mela speaks of the climate as unfit for ripening grain, but he, too, notices the luxuriance of the grass.
- If Strabo and Herodotus and Pomponius Mela, for example, describe a custom, rite or strange notion in the Old World, and if mariners and missionaries find the same notion or custom or rite in Polynesia or Australia or Kamchatka, we can scarcely doubt the truth of the reports.Advertisement
- Measuring the actual numbers who attended the Mela as a result of Mela on the Mile proved difficult.
- Vox pop interviews, including conversation with the Mela organizers.
- Mela serves lunch, dinner and a weekend buffet brunch in a trendy and casual atmosphere.