Medulla-oblongata sentence example
- Forwards it covers, and has driven asunder, the optic lobes; backwards it hides the much shortened medulla oblongata.
- The action of aconitine on the circulation is due to an initial stimulation of the cardio-inhibitory centre in the medulla oblongata (at the root of the vagus nerves), and later to a directly toxic influence on the nerve-ganglia and muscular fibres of the heart itself.
- Consciousness is entirely unaffected by physostigmine, there being apparently no action on any part of the brain above the medulla oblongata.
- The cerebral convolutions remain unaffected, but the important centres of the medulla oblongata are stimulated.
- As the vaso-motor centre in the medulla oblongata is also stimulated, as well as the contractions of the heart, there is thus trebly caused a very great rise in the blood-pressure.Advertisement
- In small therapeutic and in small toxic doses atropine stimulates the motor apparatus of the spinal cord, just as it stimulates the centres in the medulla oblongata.
- The action on the circulation is largely secondary, however, to the all-important action of opium on the respiratory centre in the medulla oblongata.
- Similarly the depressant action on the respiratory centre in the medulla oblongata occurs only after the administration of enormous doses.
- This is mainly due to a direct action on the muscular coats of the vessels, but is also partly of central origin, since the drug also stimulates the vasomotor centre in the medulla oblongata.
- Morphine exercises its effects chiefly upon the cerebrum and the medulla oblongata in man.Advertisement