The McMillan Commission decided that it should be an open mall area from the Capitol to the Potomac River in Washington, D.C. Chest French designed the statue.
At this time, the McMillan Commission decided that West Potomac Park would be the site for the memorial.
In 1902 he was appointed by the governor of Michigan, and in 1903 was elected by the state legislature, as United States senator to complete the unexpired term of James McMillan (1838-1902).
There are two public parks - Broad Meadow (zo acres), part of ground reclaimed in 1859, and Levengrove (32 acres), presented to the corporation in 1885 by Peter Denny and John McMillan, two shipbuilders who helped lay the foundation of the town's present prosperity.