Mayotte sentence example
- The administration was entrusted to a subordinate of the governor of Mayotte until 1896, when Nossi-be was placed under the administration of Madagascar (q.v.).
- Mayotte, about 21 m.
- Mayotte was devastated in 1898 by a cyclone of great severity.
- Sugar refineries, distilleries of rum, and sawmills are worked in Mayotte by French settlers.
- A Sakalava chief who had been driven from Madagascar by the Hovas took refuge in Mayotte c. 1830, and, with the aid of the sultan of Johanna, conquered the island, which for a century had been given over to civil war.Advertisement
- French naval officers having reported on the strategic value of Mayotte, Admiral de Hell, governor of Reunion, sent an officer there in 1841, and a treaty was negotiated ceding the island to France.
- The local administration is in the hands of an official who himself governs Mayotte but is represented in the other islands by administrators.
- The budgets of the four islands in 1904 came to some X30,000, that of Mayotte being about half the total.
- The chief sources of revenue are poll and house taxes, and, in Mayotte, a land tax.
- of Mayotte, with a population of some 20 souls engaged in the collection of guano and the capture of turtles, were in 1892 annexed to France and placed under the control of the administrator of Mayotte.Advertisement
- - Missions:: Senegambia, Gambia, Sierra Leone, Lower Niger, Gaboon, French Congo, Lower Congo, Mayotte, Nossibe and Comoro Islands.
- The climate is similar to that of Mayotte (see CoMORO Islands), and the neighbouring islet of Nossi-komba, about 2000 ft.
- See Notice sur Mayotte et les Comores, by Emile Vienne, one of the memoirs on the French colonies prepared for the Paris Exhibition of 190o; Le Sultanat d'Anjouan, by Jules Repiquet (Paris, 1901), a systematic account of the geography, ethnology and history of Johanna; Les colonies franraises (Paris, 1900), vol.
- Overseas departments and territories--such as French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, New Caledonia and Reunion, also fly the tricolour, although they also have their own flags.