Mattathias sentence example
- Whether led by this Mattathias or not, certain Jews fled into the wilderness and found a leader in Judas Maccabaeus his reputed son, the first of the five Asmonean (Hasmonean) brethren.
- It is now customary to apply it only to the sons and descendants of Mattathias.
- At Modin, Mattathias, an aged priest, not only refused to offer the first sacrifice, but slew an apostate Jew who was about to step into the breach.
- In view of the ruthless slaughter of a thousand sabbatarians in the wilderness, Mattathias and his friends decided to resist attack even on the sabbath.
- In 166 Mattathias died, after charging his sons to give their lives for their ancestral faith, and nominating Judas Maccabaeus as their leader in the holy campaign.Advertisement
- The leadership now devolved upon Simon, the last survivor of the sons of Mattathias.
- All the sons of Mattathias had now died for the sake of " The Law "; and the result of their work, so valorously prosecuted for over thirty years, was a new-born enthusiasm in Israel for the ancestral faith.
- The rewards to which the dying Mattathias points his sons are all for this life.