Mary-magdalene sentence example
- The parish church of St Mary Magdalene was rebuilt, in 1726-1729, near the site of the old one dating from before the 12th century.
- The other side is similar, with figures of St Leonard and St Mary Magdalene.
- This industrial centre is continued eastward in the urban district of East Ham (pop. 96,018), where the old village church of St Mary Magdalene retains Norman portions.
- In the next year he published his only completed, though certainly not his most valuable work, the Miscellanies, a collection of stories on ghosts and dreams. He died at Oxford in June 1697, and was buried in the church of St Mary Magdalene.
- Included in Kingsbridge is the little town of Dodbrooke, which at the time of the Domesday Survey had a population of 42, and a flock of 108 sheep and 27 goats; and in 1257 was granted a Wednesday market and a fair at the Feast of St Mary Magdalene.Advertisement
- Tradition claims that King Athelstan threw up defensive earthworks here, but the existing castle is attributed to Joel of Totnes, who held the manor during the reign of William the Conqueror, and also founded a Cluniac priory, dedicated to St Mary Magdalene.
- In 1308 Thomas, earl of Lancaster, obtained the grant of a fair on the vigil, day and morrow of St Mary Magdalene.
- Here we see Mary Magdalene trying hard to convince the incredulous disciples that she has seen the risen Christ.
- At the East end of the church is a recumbent statue of Mary Magdalene with her pot of precious ointment by her side.
- It didn't matter that the scene was portrayed as a dream sequence - the image of Christ in the act of sex with Mary Magdalene was too much for many people to stomach.Advertisement
- Countless portraits of the Virgin Mary Magdalene depict her as being heavy with child.
- He is also concerned about the nature of Jesus' relationship with Mary Magdalene.
- The sympathetic portrayal of Judas, the portrayal of Jesus as an imperfect man and the suggestive nature of Jesus' relationship with Mary Magdalene have all also troubled some religious groups.