Martyrology sentence example
- Martyrology was the most popular literature in the early Church.
- He also undertook a new edition to the Roman martyrology (1586), which he purified of many inaccuracies.
- In the literature as it survives many different branches of writing are represented - homilies in prose and verse, hymns, exposition and commentary, liturgy, apocryphal legends, historical romance, hagiography and martyrology, monastic history and biography, general history, dogmatics, philosophy and science, ecclesiastical law, &c. But the whole is dominated by the theological and ecclesiastical interest.
- The list of anniversaries of a church formed its Martyrology.
- In the oldest Roman ferial we already find festivals of Carthaginian martyrs, and similarly, in the Carthaginian calendar, Roman festivals, while Wright's Syriac Martyrology contains numerous traces of this exchange of festivals.Advertisement
- Of his historical works the most valuable is one which was intended to be a Roman Catholic antidote to Foxe's well-known martyrology.
- Her festival was celebrated on the 8th of October (Wright's Syriac Martyrology).
- The Covenanters had a martyrology of their own, and the halo of romance has been cast around their exploits and their sufferings.
- Besides these works of Alfred's, the Saxon Chronicle almost certainly, and a Saxon Martyrology, of which fragments only exist, probably owe their inspiration to him.
- Another saint of this name, surnamed "the Goth," suffered martyrdom at the hands of Athanaric the Visigoth in the reign of Valentinian, and he is commemorated on the 12th of April in the Roman Martyrology, on varying days from 12th to, 8th in the Greek Menologies.Advertisement
- The initial element Caed - or Cead (probably adopted from British names in which it represents catu, war) appears combined with an Old English terminal element in the name Caedbaed (cp., however, the Irish name Cathbad), and hypocoristic forms of names containing it were borne by the English saints Ceadda (commonly known as St Chad) and his brother Cedd, called Ceadwealla in one MS. of the Old English Martyrology.
- In 1559 he completed the Latin edition' of his martyrology and returned to England.
- St Alban is commemorated in the Roman martyrology on the 22nd of June; but it is impossible to determine with certainty whether he ever existed, as no mention of him occurs till the middle of the 6th century.
- The scheme at first was no more than a series of evening meetings in a hall (the Oratory), at which there were prayers, hymns, readings from Scripture, from the fathers, and from the Martyrology, followed by a lecture, or by discussion of some religious question proposed for consideration.
- Day's input into the new English martyrology is undoubted.Advertisement
- The oldest texts which refer to him are an 8th century necrology at Wiirzburg and the notice by Hrabanus Maurus in his martyrology.