Marquessate sentence example
- The marquessate of Mantua was made a duchy; and Florence was secured, as we have seen, to the Medici.
- In March 1679 a new parliament hostile to Danby was returned, and he was forced to resign the treasurership; but he received a pardon from the king under the Great Seal, and a warrant for a marquessate.
- The 4th earl (1601-1635) distinguished himself on the English side in O'Neill's rebellion and afterwards, and obtained the English earldom of St Albans in 1628, his son Ulick receiving further the Irish marquessate of Clanricarde (1646).
- He left no son, but the marquessate was again revived in 1825, for his nephew the 14th earl, whose heir is the present marquess.
- In recognition of his services he was elevated to a marquessate (1871).Advertisement
- For Salamanca his reward was a marquessate, and a grant of ioo,000 for the purchase of an estate.