Mariner-s-compass sentence example
- This great event was preceded by the general Portu- utilization in Europe of the polarity of the magnetic guese ex- needle in the construction of the mariner's compass.
- The application of this property to the construction of the mariner's compass is obvious, and it is in connexion with navigation that the first references to it occur '(see' Compass).
- It is also more particularly applied to a mathematical instrument ("pair of compasses") for measuring or for describing a circle, and to the mariner's compass.
- The mariner's compass during the early part of the 19th century was still a very imperfect instrument, although numerous inventors had tried to improve it.
- On the other hand, it has been contended that a knowledge of the mariner's compass was communicated by them directly or indirectly to the early Arabs, and through the latter was introduced into Europe.Advertisement
- Yule (Book of Marco Polo) " Respecting the mariner's compass and gunpowder, I shall say nothing, as no one now, I believe, imagines Marco to have had anything to do with their introduction."
- It was in 1873 that he undertook to write a series of articles for Good Words on the mariner's compass.
- Most depended upon survey using the mariner's compass.