Marabouts sentence example
- The great sphere of the marabouts is North Africa.
- Ibrahim and the doctor Abdullah developed into the conquering empire of the Murabits, or, as Christian writers call them, the Almoravides, and there still, among the Berbers, the marabouts enjoy extraordinary influence, being esteemed as living saints and mediators.
- On their death their sanctity is transferred to their tombs (also called marabouts), where chapels are erected and gifts and prayers offered.
- The marabouts took a prominent part in the resistance offered to the French by the Algerian Moslems; and they have been similarly active in politico-religious movements in Tunisia and Tripoli.
- The native quarter, called Tijit, occupies the eastern slopes of the ravine and the level ground above, and is dominated by the kubbas of two marabouts.Advertisement
- The hereditary caste known as Marabouts are frequently in open.