The manor was granted by William I.
The drive home was too short, and she reached the large manor at noon.
Here it sits, undisturbed, waiting for the lord of this small but cozy manor house.
The site of Troy was part of the Van Rensselaer manor grant of 1629.
In 1087 the king held the manor of Wendover, and therefore it belonged to the ancient demesne of the crown.
The manor was silent, except for the ticking of the grandfather clock in the foyer.
She gazed up at the solemn façade of the manor before jogging up the walkway to the front door.
The manor belonged at an early date to the abbot of Westminster.
His descendants held the borough and the manor of Horsham, and through them they passed to the family of Mowbray, afterwards dukes of Norfolk.
In 1086 it was a hamlet in the demesne of the royal manor of Lothingland.
The manor house had been built several hundred years ago, and every room but hers was a reflection of her father's wealth.
She drove the winding roads from her father's manor through County Clare and south towards the Cliffs of Moher to Doolin, one of her favorite day trips.
About a century later the manor was acquired by the Basset family.
Shortly before his acquittal he had been able to satisfy the dream of his childhood, by buying back the ancestral manor of Daylesford, where the remainder of his life was passed in honourable retirement.
The manor stretched into three long wings.
That Chesterfield was early a thriving centre is shown by the charter of John Lord Wake, lord of the manor, granting a gild merchant to the town.
The rest, particularly the manor of Edgware, which made the fortune of the college, was bought from private owners.
to Roger Fitz Reinfred was purchased by the corporation from the earl of Lonsdale and Captain Bagot, lords of the manor, in 1885 and 1886.
It was the year Mildred Baker bought the Manor, remodeled it, and turned it into a boarding house.
A weekly market on Wednesdays was granted to John, earl of Richmond, in 1308 together with an eight days' fair beginning on the vigil of St Margaret's day, and in 1445 John de la Pole, earl of Suffolk, one of his successors as lord of the manor, received a further grant of the same market and also two yearly fairs, one on the feast of St Philip and St James and the other at Michaelmas.
His two wives, Alice Ufford and Alice Fitton - heir of Fitton's manor in Wiggenhall - were both daughters of knightly houses.
The corporation was replaced by two constables chosen annually in the court leet of the manor until 1894, when an urban district council was appointed.
Aston Manor was incorporated in 1903.
On the 27th of April 1486, Waynflete, like Wykeham, made his will at their favourite manor, South or Bishop's Waltham.
2) were held by the lord of the manor from the 15th century, but the date of the grant has not been found.
An early form of the name is Patricsey or Peter's Island; the manor at the time of the Domesday survey, and until the suppression of the monasteries, belonging to the abbey of St Peter, Westminster.
Burton was evidently a mesne borough under the abbot, who held the court of the manor and received the profits of the borough according to the charter of Henry I.
In Domesday the manor is mentioned as consisting of 63 acres of land.
the lord of the manor had two fairs, one on the 24th of August and the other on the 8th of September.
The manor is now held by different lords, but the earls of Derby still have a fourth part.
ASTON MANOR, a municipal and parliamentary borough of Warwickshire, England, adjoining Birmingham on the north-east.
In modern times the manor was held by Wynne Ellis (1790-1875), who left a valuable collection of paintings to the nation.
All fairs and markets were sold with the manor to the inhabitants of the town.
granted William de Braose a yearly three-days' fair at his manor of Horsham.
In 1518 the manor was granted to Sir Walter Raleigh, from whom it passed to Sir Richard Boyle, afterwards earl of Cork.
Teignmouth is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey, but in 1276 what is now West Teignmouth appears as a mesne borough held by the dean and chapter of Exeter; what is now East Teignmouth continuing with the bishop, who was accused in that year of holding in his manor a market which should be held in the borough.
The bishop's manor was alienated in 1550 to Sir Andrew Dudley, but West Teignmouth remained with the dean and chapter until early in the 19th century.
The manor was granted by King Offa to the bishopric of Worcester; and it was under the protection of the bishops of Worcester, who were granting them privileges as early as the reign of Richard I., that the inhabitants of the town assumed burghal rights at an early date.
Included in the manor of Dovercourt, Harwich from 1086 was for long held by the de Vere family.
of two parcels of land in the manor of Woolwich, called Boughton's Docks, that the foundation of the: town's prosperity was laid, the launching of the "Harry Grace de.
On the 7th of May 1451 Waynflete, from "le peynted chambre" in his manor house at Southwark, asserting that his bishopric was canonically obtained and that he laboured under no disqualification, but feared some grievous attempt against himself and his see, appealed to the protection of the pope.
Grampound (Ponsmure, Graundpont, Grauntpount, Graundpond) and the hundred, manor and vill of Tibeste were formerly so closely associated that in 1400 the former is found styled the vill of Grauntpond called Tibeste.
Prospering by the law, William Howard of Wiggenhall rose to knight's rank and acquired by purchase Grancourt's manor in East Winch, near Lynn, where he had his seat in a moated house whose ruins remain.
On the separation of the offices of bishop and abbot in 1122, the abbot's fee was carved out of the bishop's manor, but did not include the town.
By the admiral's wife Alice, sister and heir of Sir Robert de Boys, the Howards had the Boys manor of Fersfield, near Diss, which is still among the possessions of the dukes of Norfolk.
For his services against Sir Thomas Wyat he was created (March i 1, 1553/4) Lord Howard of Effingham, the title being taken from a Surrey manor granted him by Edward VI.
The manor of Little Bolton seems to have been, at least from Henry III.'s reign, distinct from that of Great Bolton, and was held till the 17th century by the Botheltons or Boltons.
It is evident from the fact of thirteen inhabitants being allowed to hold the manor that the town had some kind of incorporation in the 17th century, although its incorporation charter was not granted until 1899, when it was created a municipal borough.
Livingston, TheLivingstons of Livingston Manor (1910).
In 1204 John gave the manor to William Bruere and granted to the town all the privileges of a free borough which were enjoyed by Nottingham and Derby; but before this it seems to have had prescriptive borough rights.
Harwich formed part of the manor of Dovercourt.
to Gilbert de Gaunt, whose son and heir Walter founded the priory and endowed it with the manor of Bridlington and other lands.
In the reign of Edward the Confessor, Doncaster, as a berewic of the manor of Hexthorp, belonged to Earl Tostig; but before 1086 it had been granted to Robert, earl of Mortain, whose successor William was attainted for treason in the time of Henry I.
The overlordship then fell to the crown, and the families of Frossard, Mauley and Salvin successively held the manor as underlords.
In 1623 Ralph Salvin tried to regain the manor of Doncaster from the mayor and burgesses, who, fearing that the case would go against them, agreed to pay about £3000, in return for which he gave up his claim to all the manors in the soke.
In the 15th century the manor was held by James Butler, earl of Ormond, after whose attainder it was granted in 1461 to Lord Hastings, who in 1474 obtained royal licence to empark 3000 acres and to build and fortify a castle.
A portion of the estate, equal in size to the average holdings, is left to the owner, without, however, the proviso that this portion must necessarily coincide with the administrative centre, the manor or family house.
The manor thus became parcel of the duchy of Lancaster and is said to have been the residence of John of Gaunt.
In the midlands and south fine castles and manor houses of the 16th and 17th centuries are fairly numerous, and there are a few remains of previous date.
Tradition claims that King Athelstan threw up defensive earthworks here, but the existing castle is attributed to Joel of Totnes, who held the manor during the reign of William the Conqueror, and also founded a Cluniac priory, dedicated to St Mary Magdalene.
The manor of Loughborough (Lucteburne, Lucteburg, Lughteburgh) was granted by William the Conqueror to Hugh Lupus, from whom it passed to the Despensers.
The market rights were purchased by the town in 1880 from the trustees of Thomas Cradock, late lord of the manor.
visited the manor several times when it belonged to his favourite, Hugh Despenser the elder.
lady of the manor.
landless laborers in the manor.
A typical parish would benefit from generous endowments, most notably from its wealthiest local landowner, the occupant of the Manor House.
The principal landowners are Lord Lonsdale, lord of the manor; Richard Grice, Esq.
lease in reversion of lands in the manor of Kingsland, of which he is tenant.
The lord of the manor holds a court leet half-yearly, in April and October, for the recovery of debts under 40s.
leet records of the boro or town and royal manor of Salford, vol.ii (ed.
lessee of the manor.
lord of the manor drew 30 s.
Manor: A unit of English territorial organization, originally of the nature of a feudal lordship.
In Norman times the manor of Hessle became subject to the great lordship of Cottingham.
lordship of the manor passed to the Dean and Canons of Windsor.
In the manor the tattooed woman walks around, and Rei can hear a strange lullaby.
In 1486 the manor was granted to John de Vere earl of Oxford and the heirs male of his body, (fn.
In 1573 Thomas Marshe conveyed the manor to Richard Marshe, and it is probable that these are the father and son mentioned above.
The Great Tower was built in the mid-14th century and is a remnant of their fortified manor.
manor reverted to Queen Margaret (wife of Henry VI ).
The National Trust's magnificent 15th century moated manor of Oxburgh Hall is just fields away.
Thomas son of Lambert de Multon had inherited the manor from the Lucy family (QW, pp.
The Mauduit family held the manor from the late twelfth century.
manor in a parish.
Pre-Conquest royal manor; held by the Crown until the twelfth century.
The hotel, an imposing Elizabethan manor in 25 acres of woodland, was an idyllic setting.
For more information on Roman Baths, click here Farleigh Hungerford Castle, Bath, A medieval manor with a sinister past!
The church was sited for the convenience of the lord of the principal manor in the parish, and may not have been central.
This land, the central part of modern Kensington, became a separate manor of Abbots Kensington.
manor house for the weekend.
manor courts to meet.
Earl Waltheof held the 5-hide manor of Tottenham (96) which was in the hands of his wife Countess Judith in 1086.
Built on the site of an earlier 13th century manor house.
Private country manor in panoramic position 15 minutes from the walled city of Lucca.
manor until the king came of age.
manor of the barony of Greystoke, and was formerly held by the Musgraves, of Hayton Castle.
It became a manor house in the 16th century, was rebuilt in 1832, but eventually demolished early in the 20th century.
By the end of the Middle Ages fashions changed and most were abandoned, leaving the wooden manor houses to slowly decay.
On the other side of the lane was Earls Hall, a medieval manor house and farm.
A historic manor house, Lacock Abbey retains its medieval cloisters as well as later Tudor features.
manor house in the 16th century, was rebuilt in 1832, but eventually demolished early in the 20th century.
mansions on the outskirts disappeared including Southcote Manor and Erleigh Court.
meadowland known as Scots Garden passing Holme Hall, a small Jacobean Manor, built in 1626.
mesne manor, under its early lords.
metalwork design entries for the forthcoming catalog of drawings at Waddesdon Manor.
The site of the manor house is surrounded by a narrow moat which is fed by water from the New River.
moated mound where their manor house stood can still be seen in the meadows close to the two remaining medieval fish ponds.
moated manor of Oxburgh Hall is just fields away.
moated manor house.
moiety of the manor of Bassenthwaite.
The moated mound where their manor house stood can still be seen in the meadows close to the two remaining medieval fish ponds.
oasis of tranquility at Newbury Manor Hotel... .
overlord of this manor.
parcel of the manor of Derwent Fells, and is now held by Lord Leconfield.
Nigel Haworth is chef patron at Northcote Manor, and opened the Three Fishes pub in LancashireÃ¢s Ribble Valley last year.
These lesions have been shown to progress to malignancy in a manor analogous to colonic polyps.
proprietor of the soil is Henry Curwen, Esq., the lord of the manor.
The principal proprietor of the soil is Henry Curwen, Esq., the lord of the manor.
The welsh qualifier will take place on Tuesday, 11 July, at Liege Manor Farm Equestrian Center in the Vale of Glamorgan.
ramble rambling manor house is the kind of time capsule you just can't simulate.
recharge accommodation in South West England www.relaxsouthwest.co.uk Langstone Manor Park, Tavistock, Devon " Cottage perfect, moors perfect.
rectory manor of Penistone which he bestowed on Godfrey.
The product was also included in the specification of the award winning kitchen refit at Whatley Manor Hotel.
On Sunday, he was arrested for posing as an appliance repairman at the Woodbury Manor apartment complex.
reversion of the manor of Gomshall, co.
Thereafter, the manor reverted to the Colvill family.
rosary rally at Grace Dieu Manor 17 th August.
sic transit ). The present lord of the manor is Henry Whorwood, esq.
A screaming skull resides at Bettiscombe manor, which in legend cannot be removed from the house.
They gather momentum around the homes and reach a climax at the Manor, followed by a brief sortie to the Cross.
Seebohm, Tribal Custom in Anglo-Saxon Law (London, 1903); P. Vinogradoff, The Growth of the Manor (London, 1905); H.
The name, Hamstede, is synonymous with "homestead," and the manor is first named in a charter of Edgar (957-975), and was granted to the abbey of Westminster by Ethelred in 986.
In 1871 its preservation as an open space was insured after several years' dispute, when the lord of the manor gave up his rights.
In spite of the Roman remains on Borough Hill, nothing is known of the town itself until the time of the Domesday Survey, when the manor consisting of eight hides belonged to the countess Judith, the Conqueror's niece.
It is in part laid out in the formal Dutch style, the work of John Aislabie, lord of the manor in the early part of the 18th century.
Finally, the bag came round to the lady of the manor.
There are 21 examples of these including the old schoolhouse at Bunny, the Manor House at Shelford, and Wiverton Hall.
Weetwood Hall is built around a 17th Century Manor House on 9 1/2 acres of wooded seclusion.
seised of the manor of Ford [History of Northumberland, vol.
Thus the Corporation became its own Lord of the Manor and the Ramsden connection with Huddersfield, was finally severed.
The wheat sheaf is from the crest of the Wheatley family, Lords of the Manor of Erith until 1875.
No mention of the monastery occurs after the Conquest, but the nunnery of Shaftesbury retained the lordship of the manor until the dissolution in the reign of Henry VIII.
St Marylebone was in the manor of Tyburn, which takes name from the Tyburn, a stream which flowed south to the Thames through the centre of the present borough.
The manor at the Domesday Survey was in the possession of the nunnery at Barking, but the borough includes several estates, such as the manor of Lyllestone in the west, the name of which is preserved in Lisson Grove.
The oyster fisheries are important, and are managed by a very ancient gild, the Company of Free Dredgermen of the Hundred and Manor of Faversham.
They had endowed it with the manor and hundred of Faversham; this grant caused many disputes between the abbot and men of Faversham concerning the abbot's jurisdiction.
About 940 the manor is said to have been given to the abbey of Ely by Oswy and Leoflede; the abbot held it in 1086; and it became attached to the see of Ely with the other possessions of the monastery.
a royal charter for a market at the manor of Ormskirk.
On the dissolution of the monasteries the manor was granted to the earl of Derby.
Hyde Park, to the west, belonged originally to the manor of Hyde, which was attached to Westminster Abbey, but was taken by Henry VIII.
In 1550 the citizens purchased the manor of Southwark, and with it they became possessed of the monastery of St Thomas, which was enlarged and prepared for the reception of " poor, sick and helpless objects."
The grant was named Rensselaerwyck in his honour, became a "manor" in 1685, and remained in the family until 1853.
From 1795 he resided successively at the old castle of Neidpath near Peebles, at Hallyards on Manor Water and at St Andrews, where he died on the 22nd of February 1816.
Greenwich then became a Dutch manor.
At the dissolution the abbey and the manor of Cadoxton (part of its possessions) were sold to Sir Richard Williams or Cromwell.
45 As a term implying the ownership of property, "lord" survives in "lord of the manor" and "landlord."
- For more detailed information the reader is referred to the articles English Law; France: French Law and Institutions, Villenage; Manor; Scutage; Knight Service; Hide.
The manor of Wembley belonged to the priory of Kilburn until that foundation was dissolved by Henry VIII.
In 1305, only, it was represented in parliament by two members; but it was never incorporated, and was governed by appointees of the manor court, until the Ross Improvement Act of 1865 established elected commissioners of the borough.
to William Cosby (c. 1695-1736), colonial governor of New York in 1732-36, and to his associates, and it was known as Cosby's Manor.
In default of payment of arrears of rent Cosby's Manor was sold at sheriff's sale in 1792 and was bid in by General Philip Schuyler, General John Bradstreet, John Morin Scott and others for X1387, or about 15 cents an acre.
In 1786 the proprietors had the manor surveyed.
The Tennysons were an old Lincolnshire family settled at Bayon's Manor.
Tn the Domesday Survey it is included in the manor of Maesbury, which Rainald, sheriff of Shropshire, held of Roger, earl of Shrewsbury; but Rainald or his predecessor Warm had already raised a fortification at Oswestry called Louvre.
The manor passed in the reign of Henry I.
The market rights were held by the lord of the manor until 1819, when Earl Powis sold them to the corporation.
It was governed by a portreeve and bailiff, elected annually at the court leet held by the lord of the manor.
Finally, it was acquired in moieties by the Clinton family, and the present Lord Clinton is joint lord of the manor with Sir Robert Jardine.
At the time of the Domesday Survey the manor was owned by King William.
to Edmund Leversedge, then lord of the manor, granted the right to have fairs on the 22nd of July and the 21st of September.
He came of an old family connected with Sutton Place, near Guildford, of which in later years he wrote a very interesting historical account (Annals of an Old Manor House, 1893).
The manor of Berkeley gives its name to the noble family of Berkeley.
According to tradition, a nunnery to which the manor belonged existed here before the Conquest, and Earl Godwin, by bringing about its dissolution, obtained the manor.
All that is certainly known, however, is that in Domesday the manor is assigned to one Roger, who took his surname from it.
in the following year), granted him the manor.
The descendants of the Berkeley family still hold the manor and town.
The village appears in Domesday, and the manor belonged to the Archbishops of Canterbury until the time of Henry VIII., when it passed by exchange to the Crown.
The manor of Ealing early belonged to the see of London; but it is not mentioned in Domesday and its history is obscure.
Kingsbridge (Kyngysbrygge) was formerly included in the manor of Churchstow, the first trace of its separate existence being found in the Hundred Roll of 1276, which records that in the manor of Churchstow there is a new borough, which has a Friday market and a separate assize of bread and ale.
The manor remained in possession of the abbot until the Dissolution, when it was granted to Sir William Petre.
According to the Domesday, Amesbury was a royal manor and did not pay geld, but was under the obligation of providing one night's entertainment for the king.
Southampton Common, with its fine avenue, north of the town, was formerly part of the manor of Shirley.
The manor of Zuilen on the Vecht, four miles north-west of Utrecht, was partly held in fief from this abbey and partly from the bishops of Utrecht.
Warminster appears in Domesday, and was a royal manor whose tenant was bound to provide, when required, a night's lodging for the king and his retinue.
GOUVERNEUR MORRIS (1752-1816), American statesman, was born in the old Morrisania manor house, in what is now the city of New York, on the 31st of January 1752.
He was appointed United States minister to France in 1792, and was the only representative of a foreign country who remained at his post throughout the Reign of Terror; but his ill-concealed attitude of hostility to the Revolu manor and also a large estate from his uncle in Monmouth county, East Jersey.
DEMESNE (DEMEINE, DEMAIN, DOMAIN, &C.), 1 that portion of the lands of a manor not granted out in freehold tenancy, but (a) retained by the lord of the manor for his own use and occupation or (b) let out as tenemental land to his retainers or "villani."
Far otherwise was it with the church which was formed originally at Gainsborough (?1602), by " professors " trained under zealous Puritan clergy in the district where Nottinghamshire, Yorkshire and Lincolnshire meet, but which about 1606 reorganized itself for reasons of convenience into two distinct churches, meeting at Gainsborough and in Scrooby Manor House.
The founder of a colony was styled a patroon, and, although the colonists were bound to him only by a voluntary contract for specified terms, the relations between them and the patroon during the continuance of the contract were in several important respects similar to those under the feudal system between the lord of a manor and his serfs.
On both sides of the entrance to Delaware Bay Samuel Godyn, Samuel Blomaert and five other directors who were admitted to partner ship in the second year (1630) established the manor and colony of Swaanendael; on a tract opposite the lower end of Manhattan Island and including Staten Island, Michael Pauw established the manor and colony of Pavonia; on both sides of the Hudson and extending in all directions from Fort Orange (Albany) Kilian van Rensselaer established the manor and colony of Rensselaerwyck.
The manor, with a market and tolls, was among the possessions confirmed in 972 by King Edgar to the abbot of Peterborough, to whom it still belonged in 1086.
After the Dissolu tion the market was granted with the manor to John, earl of Bedford, and still belongs to the lord of the manor.
The first religious settlement in Surrey, a Benedictine abbey, was founded in 666 at Chertsey (Cerotesei, Certesey), the manor of which belonged to the abbot until 1539, since when it has been a possession of the crown.
In the 18th century the manor passed by marriage to the Courtenays, afterwards earls of Devon, and Robert de Courtenay in 1220 gave the king a palfrey to hold an annual fair at his manor of Okehampton, on the vigil and feast day of St Thomas the Apostle.
At Otford, Wrotham and Charing were manorhouses or rather palaces of the archbishops of Canterbury; at Hollingbourne was a manor of the priors of Christchurch.
She returned as usual by way of Darmstadt, and shortly after her arrival at Windsor paid a visit to Baron Ferdinand Rothschild at Waddesdon Manor.
south of the town, but its authentic history begins with the Domesday survey, which relates that the manor had been royal demesne of Edward the Confessor and now paid X10 a year to the Conqueror.
The principal villages are New Brighton, West New Brighton, Port Richmond, Stapleton, and Tompkinsville on the north coast, and Tottenville (or Bentley Manor) on the south-west coast.
He erected this into the Manor of Bentley and the manor house, built about this time, still stands in the village of Tottenville.
The districts included preserve the names of ancient manors, and in Canonbury, which belonged as early as the 13th century to the priory of St Bartholomew, Smithfield, traces of the old manor house remain.
The manor, called in the 13th century Haringee (a name which survives as Harringay), belonged from an early date to the see of London, the bishops having a seat here.
Returning to England in 1644 he found that his father was dead and had left him the manor of Stalbridge in Dorsetshire, together with estates in Ireland.
In the colonial era Maryland had an interesting list of governmental subdivisions - the manor, the hundred, the parish, the county, and the city - but the two last are about all that remain and even these are in considerable measure subject to the special local acts of the General Assembly.
It was a member of the Honour of Clitheroe and a fee of the royal manor of Tottington, which soon after the Conquest was held by the Lacys.
The local family of Bury held lands here during the 13th century, and at least for a short time the manor itself, but before 1347 it passed by marriage to the Pilkingtons of Pilkington,withwhom it remained til11485,when on the attainder of Sir Thomas Pilkington it was granted to the first earl of Derby, whose descendants have since held it.
of Henry de Lacy, earl of Lincoln, in that year gives several interesting facts about the manor; the earl had there a hall or manor-house, a fulling mill, a market every Sunday, and a fair on the feast of St Andrew.
Alice, only daughter and heiress of Henry de Lacy, married Thomas Plantagenet, earl of Lancaster, and on the attainder of her husband she and Joan, widow of Henry, were obliged to release their rights in the manor to the king.
date the chief officer in the town had been the chief constable, who was appointed annually at the court leet of the manor.
granted to certain feoffees in whom he had vested his manor of Bradford a market on Thursday every week and two yearly fairs, one on the feast of the Deposition of St William of York and two days preceding, the other on the feast of St Peter in Cathedra and two days.
In 14th-century documents it is described as a town or borough governed by a portreeve, who frequently came into conflict with the parson of St John's church, who had become lord of the manor of Yeovil during the reign of Henry III.
The history of the manor is traceable from the time of Edward the Confessor, and after the Conquest it was held of the Bishop of Coutances by Aubrey de Vere.
With a few short intervals the manor continued in the direct line until Tudor times.
It was built by Sir Walter Cope, lord of the manor, in 1607, and obtained its present name on coming into the possession of Henry Rich, earl of Holland, through his marriage with Cope's daughter.
in some of the larger parishes in the north of England a churchwarden is chosen for each township of the parish; in the old ecclesiastical parishes of London both churchwardens are chosen by the parishioners; in some cases they are appointed by the select vestry, or by the lord of the manor, and in a few exceptional cases are chosen by the outgoing churchwardens.
Though there is evidence of an early settlement in the neighbourhood, the town of Farnham (Ferneham) seems to have grown up round the castle of the bishops of Winchester, who possessed the manor at the Domesday Survey.
Camborne (Cambron, Camron) formed a portion of the extensive manor of Tehidy, which at the time of the Domesday Survey was held by the earl of Mortain and subsequently by the Dunstanville and Basset families.
The manor belonged to this see as early as the reign of Ethelbert.
and a favourite hunting-ground of several kings; the land was divided between various lords of the manor, and its disafforestation was carried out at various times.
in 1552 granted the manor to the burgesses.
Northallerton (Alvetune, Allerton) is said to have been a Roman station and afterwards a Saxon "burgh," but nothing is known with certainty about it before the account given in the Domesday Survey, which shows that before the Conquest Earl Edwin had held the manor, but that the Normans had destroyed it so utterly that it was still waste in 1086.
The manor of Crickhowell used to be regarded as a borough by prescription, but there is no record of its ever having possessed any municipal institutions.
It was included in the bishop of Exeter's manor of Pawton, which had been annexed to the see of Crediton upon its formation by Edward the Elder in 909.
Two manors of Padstow are mentioned later - the prior of Bodmin's manor, which included the rectory, and a manor which passed from the Bonvilles to the Greys, marquesses of Dorset, both of which were eventually acquired by the family of Prideaux.
The manor, royal demesne in 1086, was granted by Edmund Plantagenet in 1285 to the house of Ashridge, and the town developed under monastic protection.
At the same time he is said to have given the manor to Wulfstan, archbishop of York.
The archbishops of York as lords of the manor had various privileges in the town, among which were the right of holding a market and fair, and Archbishop John, being summoned in the reign of Henry I.
They obtained the manor in 1133.
The principal manor of Enfield, which was held by Asgar, Edward the Confessor's master of horse, was in the hands of the Norman baron Geoffrey de Mandeville at the time of Domesday, and belonged to the Bohun family in the 12th and 13th centuries.
The borough court was held by the lord of the manor.
At the time of Edward the Confessor, Archbishop Stigand owned the manor, which according to Domesday passed to Ralf de Insula.
Rev. (1904); Prof. Bury's Life of St Patrick (1905); Haverfield's Romanization (cited above); and P.1 Vinogradoff, Growth of the Manor (1905), bk.
sold the manor and site of the monastery to Sir Richard Gresham, and from him after passing through several families it came to the marquess of Ripon.
Both town and abbey were sacked by the Danes in 997, but were shortly afterwards rebuilt, and the latter at the time of the Conquest ranked as the wealthiest house in Devon, including the hundred and manor of Tavistock among its possessions.
to the earl of Bedford, then lord of the manor.
The right of the burgesses to his election was, however, lost, and the mayor was always nominated by the lord of the manor.
This arrangement lasted until 1565, when the burgesses put in a claim to their right of election, and it was decided that out of four burgesses nominated by the lord of the manor the jury of the court leet should select the mayor.
Ulverston, otherwise Vlureston, Olvestonum, occurs in Domesday Book, where Vlurestun is named as a manor in possession of Turulf, who was probably the original Saxon owner.
Early in the 12th century the manor passed to Stephen, count of Boulogne, and was given by him to Furness Abbey.
Early in the 17th century the Crown alienated the manor, which is now in the, family of Buccleuch.
A minister, John van Mekelenburg (Johannes Megapolensis) migrated to Rensselaerwyck manor in 1642, preached to the Indians - probably before any other Protestant minister - and after 1649 was settled in New Amsterdam.
The lordship of the manor was granted to Waltham Abbey.
In the autumn of 1584 she was removed to Wingfield Manor under charge of Sir Ralph Sadler and John Somers, who accompanied her also on her next removal to Tutbury in January 1585.
a moiety of the manor was purchased by Sir Walter Beauchamp, who granted a charter to the inhabitants of the town establishing a Tuesday market for corn, cattle, and all kinds of merchandise, and also obtained grants of fairs at the feasts of St Giles (afterwards transferred to the feast of St Faith) and St Barnabas.
In 1444 Sir John Beauchamp purchased the remaining moiety of the manor, and was granted an additional fair at the feast of St Dunstan.
From this date the Beauchamps were lords of the whole manor until it passed by female descent to the Grevilles in the reign of Henry VIII.
In 1246 Reginald de Mohun, then lord of the manor, founded a Cistercian abbey at Newenham within the parish of Axminster, granting it a Saturday market and a fair on Midsummer day, and the next year made over to the monks from Beaulieu the manor and hundred of Axminster.
Bishop Hugh de Puiset rebuilt the church and built a manor house which was for many years the occasional residence of the bishops of Durham.
Near Wimborne is Canford Manor, the seat of Lord Wimborne, a mansion in the Tudor style, built by Blore in 1826, and improved from designs of Sir Charles Barry.
At the conquest Wimborne was a royal borough, ancient demesne of the crown, and part of the manor of Kingston Lacy, which Henry I.
The town was governed until the 19th century by two bailiffs, chosen annually at a court le g it of the royal manor o Wimborne borough, part of the manor of Kingston Lacy.
In the reign of Edward the Confessor the manor of Tottenham was possessed by Earl Waltheof.
The manor thus descended to William the Lion, king of Scotland, and was granted by him in 1184 to his brother David, earl of Angus and Galloway, the grant being confirmed in 1199 by King John of England, who created him earl of Huntingdon.
She retained possession till 1254, when the manor was divided between his coheirs Robert de Brus, John de Baliol and Henry de Hastings, each division forming a distinct manor bearing the name of its owner.
Originally the right of nominating) or presenting was annexed to the person who built or endowed the church, but the right gradually became annexed to the manor in which it was built, for the endowment was considered parcel of the manor, the church being built for the use of the inhabitants, and the tithes of the manor being attached to the the church.
Consequently where the right of patronage (the right of the patron to present to the bishop the person whom he has nominated to become rector or vicar of the parish to the benefice of which he claims the right of advowson) remains attached to the manor, it is called an advowson appendant, and passes with the estate by inheritance The distinction between nomination to a living and presentation is to be noted.
Nomination is the power, by virtue of a manor or otherwise, to appoint a clerk to the patron of a benefice, to be by him presented to the ordinary.
But where, as is often the case, the right of presentation has been sold by itself, and so separated from the manor, it is called an advowson in gross.
At the Domesday Survey, Kidderminster was still in the hands of the king and remained a royal manor until Henry II.
The poet Edmund Waller was one of the 17th century lords of the manor.
In 1086 the abbey of Shaftesbury held the manor, which afterwards passed to the Norman kings, who raised the castle.
incorporated Corfe Castle in 1663, the mayor being elected at a court leet from three nominees of the lord of the manor.
was a manor belonging to the abbey of Cockersand.
The manor was granted by Edward the Confessor to Westminster Abbey, and passed in the 13th century to the see of London and in the 16th to the Crown; but was not so held later than 1603.
His purchase of the manor of Chelsea in 1712 has perpetuated his memory in the name of a "place," a street, and a square.
The manor of North Lambeth was given to the bishopric of Rochester in the time of Edward the Confessor, and the bishops had a house here till the 16th century.
They did not,, however, retain the manor beyond the close of the 12th century, when it was acquired by the see of Canterbury.
In 1316 the prior of Tywardreath, as lord of the manor, obtained the right to hold a Monday market and two fairs on the feasts of St Finbar and St Lucy, but by the charter of 1690 provision was made for a Saturday market and three fairs, on the 1st of May, 10th of September and Shrove Tuesday, and only these three continue to be held.
At the time of the Domesday Survey East Looe was assessed under Pendrym, which was of the king's demesne and West Looe under Hamelin's manor of Trelowia.
In the 14th century the former manor was held by the family of Bodrugan; the latter by that of Dauney, who had inherited it from the Treverbyns.
In 1237 Henry Bodrugan received the grant of a market on Fridays and a fair at Michaelmas in his manor of Pendrym.
The manor, which had belonged to the Cluniac monks of Bermondsey, passed through various hands to Edward Alleyn in 1606.
In 1213 King John granted the manor to the men of the town at a feefarm of £120 yearly, and confirmation charters were granted by several succeeding kings, Richard II.
The manor afterwards belonged to the Lacys, and in the beginning of the 14th century passed by marriage to Roger de Mortimer and through him to Edward IV.
In the town are two strong castellated towers of the 14th century, known as the Moot Hall and the Manor Office.
The market day was altered to Tuesday in 1662, and Sir William Fenwick, then lord of the manor, received a grant of a cattle market on the Tuesday after the feast of St Cuthbert in March and every Tuesday fortnight until the feast of St Martin.
Beaumont, lord of the manor, in 1886.
A Benedictine cell was founded here at the close of the 12th century by the lord of the manor, Richard Fitz-Roger.
In the 13th century, as part of the barony of Halton, the manor passed to Henry, earl of Lincoln, who by a charter dated 1282 declared the town a free borough, with a gild merchant and numerous privileges, including power to elect a mayor, a catchpole and an aletaster.
In the reign of Edward the Confessor Wem was held as four manors, but at the time of the Domesday Survey William Pantulf was holding the whole as one manor of Roger, earl of Shrewsbury, from whom it passed to the Botelers, barons of Wem.
The famous Judge Jeffreys was among the subsequent lords of the manor and was created Baron Jeffreys of Wem in 1685, but upon the death of his only son and heir in 1720 the title became extinct.
In 1459 Ralph, Lord Greystock, is said to have granted a charter, no longer extant, to his tenants in the manor, and in 1674 the freeholders, "borough-holders" and copyholders, of Wem brought an action against Daniel Wicherley, then lord of the manor, for the establishment of customs and privileges chiefly connected with the tenure of their lands and tenements, which was decided in their favour.
The borough was governed by two bailiffs, both elected at the court leet of the lord of the manor, one by his steward, the other by a borough.
Bishop's Castle was included in the manor of Lydbury, which belonged to the church of Hereford before the Conquest.
The castle, at first called Lydbury Castle, was built by one of the bishops of Hereford between 1085 and 1154, to protect his manor from the Welsh, and the town which sprang up round the castle walls acquired the name of Bishop's Castle in the 13th century.
In 1303 Lodovicus de Bello Monte, prebendary of Salisbury, obtained a grant of a Saturday market at the manor of Caine, and a three days' fair at the feast of St Mary Magdalene; the latter was only abandoned in the 19th century.
In the following year he was again looking for a country house, and lighted upon Kelmscott manor house, in the Upper Thames valley, which he took at first in joint-tenancy with Rossetti and used principally as a holiday home.
The manor of Boroughbridge, then called Burc, was held by Edward the Confessor and passed to William the Conqueror, but suffered so much from the ravages of his soldiers that by 1086 it had decreased in value fro to 55s.
In 1229 Boroughbridge, as part of the manor of Aldborough, was granted to Hubert de Burgh, but was forfeited a few years later by his son who fought against the king at Evesham.
It then remained a royal manor until Charles I.
In Henry I.'s reign a barony was formed for Pain de Vilars, of which Warrington was the head and to which it gave the name, and from that family both manor and barony passed to the Botelers or Butlers, who first established their residence on the mote hill and before 1280 built Bewsey in Burton wood.
The Butlers held both barony and manor till 1586, when the barony lapsed and the manor passed after some vicissitudes to the Irelands of Bewsey, then to the Booths and in 1769 to the Blackburns.
In August 1659 Sir George Booth, lord of the manor, was defeated at Winnington, and part of his forces surrendered at Warrington to the parliamentary garrison.
A borough was created by William le Boteler about 1230 by a charter which has not been preserved; but its growing strength alarmed the lord who contrived to repress it before 1300, and for over Soo years Warrington was governed by the lord's manor court.
It contains a lofty Doric column and a detached chapel and banqueting hall, and in the vicinity are picturesque fragments of the monastic chapel of Friarside, and of the manor house of Hollinside.
JOHN WINTHROP (1588-1649), a Puritan leader and governor of Massachusetts, was born in Edwardston, Suffolk, on the 12th of January (O.S.) 1588, the son of Adam Winthrop of Groton Manor, and Anne (Browne) Winthrop. In December 1602 he matriculated at Trinity College, Cambridge, but he did not graduate.
Though his residence was at Groton Manor, much of his time was spent in London.
A castle of the lords of the manor was built early in the 14th century, and remains, as does another adjacent fortified building of the same period.
Roger de Peppart, lord of the manor early in the 13th century, founded the present Protestant church and a house of Crutched Friars.
The bishops, to whom the manor belonged until the Reformation, had difficulty in enforcing their warren and other rights; in 1351 Bishop Grandison obtained an exemplification of judgments of 1282 declaring that he had pleas of withernam, view of frank pledge, the gallows and assize of bread and ale.
The borough and manor were granted by Elizabeth to William Killigrew in 1595, but there is no indication of town organization then or in 1630, and in the 18th century Crediton was governed by commissioners.
All Saints' church, restored in 1866, is late Norman, containing several monuments to the Carys, lords of the manor for 600 years.
These commoners might be the several owners, the inhabitants of a parish, freemen of a borough, tenants of a manor, &c. The opening of the fields by throwing down the fences took place on Lammas Day (12th of August) for corn-lands and on Old Midsummer Day (6th of July) for grass.
The borough, first claimed as such in the reign of Henry I., was in existence by the middle of the 13th century, since a deed of Gilbert Fitz-Stephen, lord of the manor, mentions the services due from "his burgesses of Dertemue," and a borough seal of 1280 is extant.
The hundred of East Grinstead (Grenestede, Estgrensted) was in the possession of the count of Mortain in 1086, but no mention of a vill or manor of East Grinstead is made in the Domesday Survey.
At Domesday the manor of Willesden and Harlesden was held by the canons of St Paul's.
Before the Norman period the manor of Hanwell belonged to Westminster Abbey.
Carisbrooke is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Survey, but Bowcombe, its principal manor, was a dependency of the royal manor of Amesbury, and was obtained from the king by William Fitz Osbern in exchange for three Wiltshire manors.
This was founded shortly after the Conquest and originated from the endowment which the monks of Lyre near Evreux held in Bowcombe, including the church, mill, houses, land and tithes of the manor.
The manor was held by the local family of Atherton from John's reign to 1738, when it passed by marriage to Robert Gwillym, who assumed that name.
Up to 1891 the lord of the manor held a court-leet and court-baron annually in November, but in that year Lord Lilford sold to the local board the market tolls, stallages and pickages, and since this sale the courts have lapsed.
The manor was held by Falkes de Breaute (whence the name, Falkes Hall) in the time of John and Henry III.
At that time it was the custom to call up the whole able-bodied population of the manor, with the exception of the housewives for two, three or more days of mowing and reaping on the lord's fields; to these boon-works the peasantry was asked or invited by special summons, and their value was so far appreciated that the villagers were usually treated to meals in cases where they were again and again called off from their own fields to the demesne.
But this interference of 15th-century chancellors paved the way towards one of the greatest revolutions in the law; without formally enfranchising villeins and villein tenure they created a legal basis for it in the law of the realm: in the formula of copyhold - tenement held at the will of the lord and by the custom of the manor - the first part lost its significance and the second prevailed, in downright contrast with former times when, on the contrary, the second part had no legal value and the first expressed the view of the courts.
(1909); P. Vinogradoff, Growth of the Manor (1905); P. Vinogradoff, English Society the XIth Century (1908); A.
After stating the assessment of the manor, the record sets forth the amount of arable land, and the number of ploughteams (each reckoned at eight oxen) available for working it, with the additional number (if any) that might be employed; then the river-meadows, woodland, pasture, fisheries (i.e.
To the topographer, as to the genealogist, its evidence is of primary importance; for it not only contains the earliest survey of a township or manor, but affords in the majority of cases the clue to its subsequent descent.
Maitland, Domesday Book and Beyond (1897) P. Vinogradoff, Villainage in England (1892) and Growth of the Manor; A.
The corporation of the city of London then acquired the freehold interest of waste land belonging to the lords of the manor, and finally secured 5559b acres, magnificently timbered, to the use of the public for ever, the tract being declared open by Queen Victoria in 1882.
The manor house or palace of the bishops of London stands in grounds, beautifully planted and surrounded by a moat, believed to be a Danish work, near the river west of Putney Bridge.
The manor is said to have been given to Bishop Erkenwald about the year 691 for himself and his successors in the see of London, and Holinshed relates that the Bishop of London was lodging in his manor place in 1141 when Geoffrey de Mandeville, riding out from the Tower of London, took him prisoner.
At the Commonwealth the manor was temporarily out of the bishops' hands, being sold to Colonel Edmund Harvey.
In the same year the great victory of Blenheim further consolidated the power of the Whigs and increased the influence of Marlborough, upon whom Anne now conferred the manor of Woodstock.
Newport is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey, but at the time of the Conquest formed part of the manor of Edgmond, which William I.
is supposed to have founded the borough, at first called New Borough, after the manor had come into his hands through the forfeiture of Robert de Belesme.
had granted the borough with the manor of Edgmond, to Henry de Audley, but in the middle of the 13th century James, son of Henry de Audley, granted that the burgesses need not take the fish anywhere except within the county of Shropshire.
The manor of Cheddar was a royal demesne in Saxon times, and the witenagemot was held there in 966 and 968.
By a charter of 1231 extensive liberties in the manor of Cheddar were granted to Bishop Joceline, who by a charter of 1235 obtained the right to hold a weekly market and fair.
The manor is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey, but formed part of the lordship of Holderness which William the Conqueror granted to Odo, count of Albemarle.
granted to Edmund, earl of Lancaster, and Avelina his wife, then lord and lady of the manor, the right of holding a fair at Hedon on the eve, day, and morrow of the feast of St Augustine and for five following days.
After the countess's death the manor came to the hands of Edward I.
However, in1674-1675the crown, probably in gratitude for the part played by the Cholmleys in the Civil War, restored to the lords of the manor all the liberties ever enjoyed by the abbots of Whitby in Whitby and Whitby Strand.
In the Domesday survey it appears as a royal manor containing two mills, but it was bestowed by Henry I.
granted the manor of Bridgnorth to Earl Roger of Shrewsbury, whose son Robert de Belesme transferred his castle and borough from Quatford to Bridgnorth, but on Robert's attainder in 1102 the town became a royal borough.
In the reign of Edward the Confessor, Wakefield (Wacheeld) was the chief place in a large district belonging to the king and was still a royal manor in 1086.
They, however, predeceased him, and after Maud's death in 1360 the manor fell to the crown.
granted it to Henry, earl of Holland, and after passing through the hands of Sir Gervase Clifton and Sir Christopher Clapham, it was purchased about 1700 by the duke of Leeds, ancestor of the present duke, who is now lord of the manor.
Before this date it was under the superintendence of a constable appointed by the steward of the lord of the manor.
After the Conquest Wigan was part of the barony of Newton, and the church was endowed with a carucate of land, the origin of the manor.
Before the Conquest the manor of Bishop Stortford is said to have belonged to Eddeva the Fair, wife of Harold, who sold it to the bishop of London, from whom it was taken by William the Conqueror.
Saltash (Esse, 1297; Ash, 1302; Assheburgh, 1392) belonged to the manor of Trematon and the latter at the time of the Domesday Survey was held by Reginald de Valletort of the count.
At the close of the 18th century the duke of Devonshire, lord of the manor (whose ancestor Sir Ralph de Gernons was lord of Bakewell in 1251), spent large sums of money on improvements in the town.
There is no distinct mention of Belper till 1296, when the manor was held by Edmund Crouchback, earl of Lancaster, who is said to have enclosed a park and built a hunting seat, to which, from its situation, he gave the name Beaurepaire.
After the Norman Conquest, the beadle seems to have diminished in importance, becoming merely the crier in the manor and forest courts, and sometimes executing processes.
The town takes its name from a family of Gray who held the manor for three centuries from 1149.
In 1842 the Birkenhead Commissioners purchased it, under an act of parliament, from the lord of the manor, Mr F.
Our Wykeham first appears in the public records in 1350 as keeper of the manor of Rochford, Hants, during the minority of the heir, William Botreaux.
On the 9th of October he acted as attorney to the king in the purchase of the manor of Thunderley, Essex.
The manor was given in 941 by King Edmund to the monks of Christ Church, Canterbury, from whom it had been previously taken, but it was again alienated, for it was restored to the same monks by Edred in 948.
The old manor house, now demolished, was Catherine's residence; and had been, according to tradition, the place of the retirement of Catherine of Aragon after her divorce from Henry VIII.
1381), who held the manor of Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire, in right of his wife Margaret, granddaughter of Joan Ludlow, who was the daughter and co-heiress of Philip Marmion, last Baron Marmion.
The Marmions claimed descent from the lords of Fontenay, hereditary champions of the dukes of Normandy, and held the castle of Tamworth, Leicestershire, and the manor of Scrivelsby, Lincolnshire.
NATHANIEL MACON (1758-1837), American political leader, was born at Macon Manor, Warren county, North Carolina, on the 17th of December 1758.
Liskeard (Liscarret) was at the time of the Domesday Survey an important manor with a mill rendering 12d.
Richard, king of the Romans, recognized its natural advantages and built the manor house or castle and resided there occasionally.
In 1461 the men of the town, tenants of the manor which had been granted by the monks of Bury St Edmunds to Gilbert, earl of Clare, and had passed to the Crown with the honour of Clare, claimed exemption from toll, pontage and similar dues as their prescriptive right.
These liberties were confirmed in 1505 by Henry VII., who also granted the corporation the town and manor to hold at fee-farm with certain rights of jurisdiction.
The weekly market, now the property of the corporation, was granted to the abbot of St Edmunds as lord of the manor in 1227 together with a yearly fair on the vigil of the feast of St Philip and St James.
The original manor house was rebuilt by Lord Chancellor Rich, who was here visited by Queen Elizabeth in 1561, and for her entertainment Sir Philip Sidney wrote a dramatic interlude which was played before the queen at Wanstead garden, and is printed at the end of the Arcadia.
The manor was originally in the possession of Westminster Abbey, but its history is fragmentary until Tudor times.
1535); Lord Bray, lord of the manor (1539), his father and son; Lady Jane Guyldeford, duchess of Northumberland, who died "at her maner of Chelse" in 1555; Lord and Lady Dacre (1594-1595); Sir John Lawrence (1638); Lady Jane Cheyne (1698); Francis Thomas, "director of the china porcelain manufactory, Lawrence Street, Chelsea" (1770); Sir Hans Sloane (1753); Thomas Shadwell, poet laureate (1692); Woodfall the printer of Junius (1844), and many others.
It is an ancient town, of which the manor was held successively by the abbots of St Ebrulph in Normandy and Combermere in Cheshire.
Later the manor passed to the Bassets and the Beauchamps, and Warwick the King-maker held it in right of his wife.
At the time of the Domesday Survey, Thirsk (Treske) was a manor of little importance belonging partly to the king and partly to Hugh, son of Baldric. Soon afterwards it was granted to Robert de Mowbray, who often resided there, and is said to have raised the castle round which the borough grew up. His estates, being forfeited for treason against William Rufus, were restored by Henry I.
The manor remained in his family until the death of John de Mowbray, duke of Norfolk, without issue male in 1475, and after passing through several families was finally sold in 1723 to Ralph Bell, whose descendants thereafter held the manor.
It was governed by a bailiff elected by the burgesses at the court leet of the lord of the manor, and never received a charter of incorporation.
It is still held by the lord of the manor.
In January-March 1769 the Penns caused to be surveyed the " Manor of Pittsburgh," a tract of about 5700 acres, including much of the original city, intending to reserve it for their private use; but in the following April they offered at public sale the lands in the remainder of their purchase of the preceding year.'
In January 1784 the sale of the land included in the " Manor of Pittsburgh " was begun by the grandsons of William Penn,, John Penn (1729-1795), the second son of Richard Penn and lieutenant-governor of Pennsylvania in1763-1771and in 1 7731776; and John Penn (1760-1834), the fourth son of Thomas Penn; and in the following June a new series of town lots was laid out in which was incorporated Colonel Campbell's survey, Thereafter, settlers, chiefly Scotch and Irish, came rapidly.
According to the Domesday survey it had always been a royal manor, and comprised three mills and a market.
in 1256 granted to the men of Basingstoke the manor and hundred of that name and certain other privileges, which were confirmed by Edward III., Henry V.
At the time of the Domesday survey the king owned the manor.
In 1618 a George Canning, son of Richard Canning of Foxcote in Warwickshire, received a grant of the manor of Garvagh in Londonderry, Ireland, from King James I.
He also appointed as the chief officer of the town a reeve who was to be chosen by the lord of the manor, the burgesses being " more eligible if only they would pay as much as others for the office."
Trowbridge (Trubrig, Trobrigg, Trowbrigge) was probably mentioned in Domesday under the name of Straburg, a manor held by one Brictric together with Staverton and Trowle, now both included within its limits.
The first reference to the "town" of Trowbridge occurs early in the 16th century; previous to that date mention is made of the manor and castle only.
The latter, round which the town probably grew up, is said to have been built by the de Bohuns, who obtained possession of the manor by marriage with the daughter of Edward de Sarisbury.
Godalming (Godelminge) belonged to King Alfred, and was a royal manor at the time of Domesday.
The manor belonged to the see of Salisbury in the middle ages, but reverted to the crown in the time of Henry VIII.
Seebohm, English Village Community (1883); P. Vinogradoff, The Growth of the Manor (1905); G.
Flitt was parcel of the manor of Luton, and formed part of the marriage portion of Eleanor, sister of Henry III.
In 1668 the manor was possessed by the earl of Derby, but various parts afterwards became alienated.
The manor of Bolton Abbey with the rest of the district of Craven was granted by William the Conqueror to Robert de Romili, who evidently held it in 1086, although there is no mention made of it in the Domesday survey.
William de Meschines and Cicely de Romili, his wife, heiress of Robert, founded and endowed a priory at Embsay or Emmesay, near Skipton, in 1120, but it was moved here in 1151 by their daughter, Alice de Romili, wife of William FitzDuncan, who gave the manor to the monks in exchange for other lands.
After the dissolution of the monasteries the manor was sold in 1542 to Henry Clifford, 2nd earl of Cumberland, whose descendants, the dukes of Devonshire, now hold it.
In 1625 he purchased the manor of Blythe, Shustoke, and removed thither in 1626.
in circumference - is conjectured to have been the place where formerly the court of the manor met; though some authorities think it was a primitive form of fortification.
granted the manor to Ilbert de Laci, of whom the Saxon tenant Godwin was holding as underlord at the time of the Domesday Survey.
From the Lacys the manor passed to Thomas Plantagenet, duke of Lancaster, through his marriage with Alice de Lacy, and so came to the crown on the accession of Henry IV.
The manor, part of that of Canford, belonged in 1086 to Edward of Salisbury, and passed by marriage to William Longespee, earl of Salisbury, thence to Edmund de Lacy, earl of Lincoln, and with his heiress to Thomas, earl of Lancaster, and so to the Crown.
In 1372 the burgesses obtained assize of bread and ale, and right to hold the courts of the lord of the manor, the prepositus being styled his mayor.
In the manor of the abbess of Shaftesbury were 111 houses and 151 burgesses; here 42 houses had been totally destroyed since St Edward's reign.
In 1280 the abbess obtained the royal manor at an annual fee-farm rent of I 2 and remained the sole mistress of the borough until it passed at the dissolution of the monasteries to Sir Thomas Arundel, after whose execution it was granted about 1552 to William Herbert, earl of Pembroke.
He did not introduce the practice by which the small man commended himself to the great man, and in return for his protection divested himself~ of the full ownership of his own land, and became a customary tenant in what later ages called a manor.
To the French or Norman knight all peasants on his manor seemed to be villeins, and he failed to understand the distinction between freemen who had personally commended themselves to his English predecessor but still owned their land, and the mass of ordinary servile tenants.
The royal courts are no longer to attend the kings persona vexatious practice when sovereigns were always on the move, and litigants and witnesses had to follow them from manor to manorbut are to be fixed at Westminster.
In the manor rolls it is not Uncommon to find whole families swept away, so that no heir can be detected to their holdings.
A partisan of Henry, son of the empress, that prince before his accession to the throne granted him, by his charter at Bristol in the earlier half of 1153, the Gloucestershire manor of Bitton, and a hundred librates of land in the manor of Berkeley, Henry agreeing to strengthen the castle of Berkeley, which was evidently already in Robert's hands.
Later in the same year the duke of Normandy granted to Robert fitz Harding Berkeley manor and the appurtenant district called "Berkelaihernesse," to hold in fee by the service of one knight or at a rent of loo s.
Being at Berkeley, the duke confirmed to Robert a grant of Bedminster made by Robert, earl of Gloucester, and in the first year of his reign as king of England he confirmed his own earlier grant of the Berkeley manor.
(See further, MANOR.)
In the immediate neighbourhood is Glossop Hall, the seat of Lord Howard, lord of the manor, a picturesque old building with extensive terraced gardens.
In 1204 John granted the manor of Wolverhampton to the church, and at the Reformation it was held by the dean of the collegiate body; in 1553 Edward VI.
granted the college and manor to Dudley, duke of Northumberland, but Mary, at the beginning of her reign, refounded the college and restored to it its property, and this arrangement was confirmed by Elizabeth.
The church of St Mary is almost entirely Perpendicular, and has a beautiful south porch, brasses of the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries and numerous monuments, several of which, in a chantry, commemorate members of the family of Drake, lords of the manor.
The manor, or chief of them, was held by Geoffrey de Mandeville.
The manor afterwards descended to the families of Fitz Piers, Bohun and Strafford, and was granted by Henry VIII.
This went to the purchase of Hughenden Manor - not, of course, a great property, but with so much of the pleasant and picturesque, of the dignified also, as quite to explain what it was to the affectionate fancy of its lord.
Epsom (a contraction of Ebbisham, still the name of the manor) first came into notice when mineral springs were discovered there about 1618.
In spring, 1691, he took up his residence in the manor house of Otes in Essex, the country seat of Sir Francis Masham, between Ongar and Harlow.
are the garden and park where the manor house of Otes once stood.
Newton Bushel was so called from Robert Bussell or Bushel, foster-child and kinsman of Theobald de Englishville, who was made lord of the manor by Henry III.
The town was originally called Bedcote, a name retained by the manor.
WILLIAM WILBERFORCE (1759-1833), English philanthropist whose name is chiefly associated with the abolition of the slave trade, was descended from a Yorkshire family which possessed the manor of Wilberfoss in the East Riding from the time of Henry II.
EDGECUMBE, or Edgecombe, the name of a celebrated west of England family, taken from the manor of Edgecumbe in Cornwall.
Lampeter was first imcorporated under Edward II., but the earliest known charter dates from the reign of Henry VI., whereby the principal officer of the town, a portreeve, was to be appointed annually at the court-leet of the manor.
Privileged copyholds are those held by the custom of the manor and not by the will of the lord.
The manor of Avebury was granted in the reign of Henry I.
In consequence of the war with France in the reign of Edward III., this manor was annexed by the crown, and was conferred on the newly founded college of New College, Oxford, together with all the possessions, spiritual and temporal, of the priory.
the lordship was acquired by the Hungerford family, and in 1427 Sir Walter Hungerford granted the reversion of the manor to the dean and chapter of Salisbury cathedral to aid towards the repair of their belfry.
In 1155 the manor was granted to the abbey of St John of Colchester, later to Cardinal Wolsey, and on his disgrace, to Thomas Howard, duke of Norfolk, to whom Elizabeth in 1567 granted a market on Saturday.
'1667), 1 while manager of the estates of his cousin, the patroon, Killian Van Rensselaer, visited the site in 1642, and it 1662, being dissatisfied with conditions on the Manor, he led a band of settlers here.
a greater degree of freedom, especially commercial freedom, than had been possible on the Manor.
From the time of St John of Beverley until the dissolution of the monasteries, the manor and town of Beverley belonged to the archbishopric of York, and is said to have been held under a charter of liberties supposed to have been granted by King lEthelstan in 925.
by his charter of 1485 appointed that the town should be governed by a mayor, sheriff and twelve aldermen, and also granted amongst other extensive privileges that this town with the manor of Whallesgrave should be a county of itself.
Wall wapentake in Westriding was a liberty of the bishop of Lincoln, and as late as 1515 the dean and chapter of Lincoln claimed delivery and return of writs in the manor and hundred of Navenby.
The shire court for Lincolnshire was held at Lincoln every forty days, the lords of the manor attending with their stewards, or in their absence the reeve and four men of the vill.
Country seats worthy of note (chiefly modern) are Aswarby Hall, Belton House, Brocklesby, Casewick, Denton Manor, Easton Hall, Grimsthorpe (of the 16th and 18th centuries, with earlier remains), Haverholm Priory, Nocton Hall, Panton Hall, Riby Grove, Somerby Hall, Syston Park and Uffington.
During his former stay in England Pitt had bought a good deal of property, including the manor of Old Sarum, and for a short time he had represented this borough in parliament.
Four inquisitions during the 13th century supported the abbot's claims, yet in 1343 the townsmen declared in a chancery bill of complaint that Cirencester was a borough distinct from the manor, belonging to the king but usurped by the abbot, who since 1308 had abated their court of provostry..
After several unsuccessful attempts to re-establish the gild merchant, the government in 1592 was vested in the bailiff of the lord of the manor.
secured the manor of Cherchefelle, as it was then called.
After the battle of Blenheim the manor of Woodstock was by Act 3 and 4 of Queen Anne, chap. 4, bestowed in perpetuity on John, duke of Marlborough.
The sum of £50o,000 was voted for the purchase of the manor and the erection of the building, a huge pile built by Sir John Vanbrugh, in a heavy Italo-Corinthian style.
It was a favourite royal residence until the Civil War, when the manor house was "almost totally destroyed."
Marshall, Early History of Woodstock Manor (Oxford, 1873); Adolphus Ballard, Chronicles of Royal Borough of Woodstock; Victoria County History, Oxfordshire.