Mankato sentence example
- The state supports three parks - Itasca state park (22,000 acres, established in 1891), about the sources of the Mississippi, in Clearwater, Becker and Hubbard counties; the St Croix (established in 1895), in Chicago county, across the St Croix from the Wisconsin state park of the same name, and including the beautiful Dalles of the St Croix; and the Minneopa state park (established in 1905), containing Minneopa Falls, near Mankato.
- By the state census of 1905 the population of the principal cities was as follows: Minneapolis, 261,954; St Paul, 197,023; Duluth, 64,942; Winona, 20,334; Stillwater, 12, 435; and Mankato, 10,996; by the same census four other cities, all in the mining region in the north-east, had passed the 5000 limit, viz.
- There are state normal schools at Winona (1860), Mankato(1868), St Cloud (1869),Moorhead (1888) and Duluth (1902).
- Of these 38 were hanged at Mankato on the 26th of December 1862.
- He died at Mankato, Minnesota, on the 13th of January 1885.Advertisement
- Mankato is served by the Chicago, St Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha, the Chicago & North-Western (both "North -Western Lines"), the Chicago, Milwaukee & St Paul, and the Chicago Great-Western railways.
- Mankato has an extensive trade in dairy and agricultural products (especially grain), stone (a pinkish buff limestone is quarried in the vicinity), and forest products.
- Mankato was settled about 1853, and was first chartered as a city in 1868.
- On or near the site of the city stood a village of the Mankato ("blue earth") band of the Mdewakanton Sioux, who derived their name from one of their chiefs, "Old Mankato."
- In this region occurred the Sioux uprising of 1862, and from this point operations were carried on which eventually resulted in the subjugation of the Indians and the hanging, at Mankato, in December 1862, of 38 leaders of the revolt.Advertisement
- In the uprising the Mankato band was led by another chief named Mankato, who took part in the attack on Ft Ridgeley, Minn., in August, in the engagement on the 3rd of September at Birch Coolie, Minn., and in that on the 23rd of September at Wood Lake, where he was killed.