Manihot sentence example
- They are found in the Compoeitae (Cickoriaceae), Campanulaceae, Papaveraceae, Loheliaceae, Papayaceae, in some Aroideae and Musaceae, and in Euphorbiaceae (Manihot, Ilevea).
- It produces Indian corn and other cereals and potatoes in the colder regions, and tropical fruits, sweet potatoes and mandioca (Jatropha manihot, L.) in the low tropical valleys.
- Manihot Glaziovii belonging to the Euphorbiaceae is the tree of N.E.
- It is closely related to the Manioc, cassava or tapioca plant (Manihot utilissima) which it resembles when young and exhibits a similar tuberous root system.
- The Manihot tree has been widely introduced into other countries, and appears to succeed wherever the rainfall is not excessive.Advertisement
- Yuca (Manihot utilissima), known as cassava in the West Indies and mandioca in Brazil, is also widely cultivated for food and for the manufacture of starch.
- Rice, cotton, sugar-cane, yucas (Manihot aipi) and tropical fruits are produced in the irrigated valleys of the coast, and wheat, Indian corn, barley, potatoes, coffee, coca, &c., in the upland regions.
- The indigenous economic plants are few, and are of no commercial value, excepting wild ginseng,bamboo, which is applied to countless uses, and "tak-pul" (Hibiscus Manihot), used in the manufacture of paper.
- The vegetable productions are less numerous, but they include sweet potatoes, cabbages, cauliflower, lettuce, beans, peas, onions, garlic, tomatoes, okra, radishes, cucumbers, couve, chuchu (Sechium edule), and aipim (Manihot aipi).