Mammon sentence example
- His Parable of the Wicked Mammon (1528), Obedience of a Christen Man (1528), in which the two great principles of the English Reformation are set out, viz.
- " Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."
- The church obviously does not serve Christ; it serves mammon.
- We shall not make mammon our God, accumulating power and wealth.
- If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?Advertisement
- To the last he maintained the narrow standpoint of Pusey and Keble, in defiance of all the developments of modern thought and modern scholarship; and his latter years were embittered by the consciousness that the younger generation of the disciples of his school were beginning to make friends of the Mammon of scientific unrighteousness.
- The new pope's motto, it is said, was " to establish all things in Christ " (instaurare omnia in Christo); and since, ex hypothesi, he himself was Christ's vicar on earth, the working out of this principle meant in effect the extension and consolidation of the papal authority and, as far as possible, an end to the compromises by means of which the papacy had sought to make friends of the Mammon of unrighteousness.
- Nicholaus de Lyra (commenting on the passage in Luke) says that Mammon est nomen daemonis.