Mamertines sentence example
- In 311 B.C. Agathocles put to death 5000 of its inhabitants; and finally, after its destruction by the Mamertines about 281 B.C., Phintias of Agrigentum transferred the remainder to the new town of Phintias (now Licata, q.v.).
- After Agathocles' death, his mercenaries, the Mamertines, treacherously seized the town about 282 B.C. and held it.
- And Hellas was cut short by the seizure of Messana by the disbanded Campanian mercenaries of Agathocles (c. 282), who proclaimed themselves a new people in a new city by the name of Mamertines, children of Mamers or Mars.
- The Greek king, on his way back to fight for Tarentum against Rome, had to cut his way through Carthaginians and Mamertines 1 For the ensuing years cf.
- The Mamertines leagued with other Campanian freebooters who had forsaken the service of Rome to establish themselves at Rhegium.Advertisement
- Hiero, claiming descent from Gelo, pressed the Mamertines hard.
- When Rome entered Sicily as the ally of the Mamertines, Hiero became the ally of Carthage.
- Now Hiero first came to the front in 275 B.C. when he was made " General " (QTpaT27y6s) : Theocritus speaks of his achievements as still to come, and the silence of the poet would show that Hiero's marriage to Philistis, his victory over the Mamertines at the Longanus and his election as " King " (#ao-Aein), events which are ascribed to 270 B.C., had not yet taken place.