Make-common-cause sentence example
- His fervent faith in the doctrines of Islam was unquestioned, and his ultimate failure was due in considerable measure to the refusal of the Kabyles, Berber mountain tribes whose Mahommedanism is somewhat loosely held, to make common cause with the Arabs against the French.
- During the struggle for supremacy, the philosophers had been driven to make common cause with everything that was hostile to Christianity.
- In 308, after the elevation of Licinius, he insisted on receiving the title of Augustus; on the death of Galerius, in 311, he succeeded to the supreme command of the provinces of Asia, and when Licinius and Constantine began to make common cause with one another Maximinus entered into a secret alliance with Maxentius.
- Prince Charles, the eldest of the king's brothers, was thereupon hastily to mobilize the garrisons of all the southern fortresses, for the ostensible purpose of crushing the revolt at Kristianstad; but on arriving before the fortress he was to make common cause with the rebels, and march upon the capital from the south, while Sprengtporten attacked it simultaneously from the east.
- By the end of 1833 he showed a disposition to make common cause with those who had already begun to issue the Tracts for the Times.Advertisement
- Greens make common cause with smokestack industries, consumer activists with trade unions, development lobbyists with rich-country farmers.