Maguey sentence example
- Other agricultural products are sweet potatoes, cassava (manioc), yuca, yams, white potatoes, maguey, okra, peanuts, pease, all the vegetables of the hot and temperate climates, oranges, lemons, limes, bananas, plantains, figs, grapes, coco-nuts, pine-apples, strawberries, plums, guavas, breadfruit, mangoes and many others.
- Sugarcane, tobacco, maguey, cotton, in small quantities, and fruits are also produced.
- The pulque industry is located on the plateau surrounding the city of Mexico, the most productive district being the high, sandy, arid plain of Apam, in the state of Hidalgo, where the " maguey " (A gave americana) finds favourable conditions for its growth - a dry calcareous surface with moisture sufficiently near to be reached by its roots.
- Of the 208 plantations in the state of Hidalgo in 1897, 129 were devoted to maguey.
- Nipa, made from the fibre of the agave or maguey plant and worn by women, is less common.Advertisement
- The town has large groves of coco-nut trees, and its principal industries are the cultivation of Indian corn and maguey and fishing.
- agave Americana: Latin name of Maguey [Yu in Franck] .
- The most familiar species is Agave americana (see fig.), a native of tropical America, the so-called century plant or American aloe (the maguey of Mexico).
- The soil, both in the valley and on the neighbouring mountain-sides, is very fertile, and produces rice, vegetables, Indian corn, indigo, cotton, tobacco, maguey and sugar-cane.
- A characteristic growth of the open plateau and upland valleys is the cabulla, cabaya or maguey (Agave americana), whose fibre is much used by the natives in the manufacture of cordage, sandals (alpargatas) and other useful articles.Advertisement