M Sentence Examples
Miss M was much nettled when I told her I'd no longer dance to her music and I saw her talking about me to the man who owns this dreadful place.
It is about 19 m.
After the junction of the two branches the river pursues a winding course, generally south-east, for about Boo m.
Beginning with 6 m.
A point is reached about zoo m.Advertisement
This coast strip is nowhere more than 2 m.
It lies on the left bank of the Spey, 231 m.
It lies on the North Sea, 104 m.
The company had 123 m.
It rises about 15 m.Advertisement
It is 32¼ m.
Yet in 1886 Treub found that it was beginning to cover itself again with plants, including eleven species of ferns; but the nearest source of supply was 10 m.
Darius founded a new city about 30 m.
His survey covered an area 900 m.
The Onomasticon places it 7 m.Advertisement
It forms with Samothrace, about 17 m.
It is 133 m.
The Dha-let and the An rivers are navigable by large boats for 25 and 45 m.
The house where he was born is still shown, and a metairie about 3 m.
It lies 14 m.Advertisement
That emperor constructed a large new harbour on the right bank, 22 m.
An electric tramway has been constructed from Rome to Ostia and thence to the seashore, now some 2 m.
Considerable remains of ancient villas still exist along the low sandy coast, one of which, about 1 m.
Still more important is the church of Haghia Sophia, which occupies a conspicuous position overlooking the sea, about 2 m.
But the most remarkable memorial of the middle ages that exists in all this district is the monastery of Sumelas, which is situated about 25 m.Advertisement
The more western of these is about 10 m.
For some five or six centuries before1908-1909the junction with the Euphrates was at Korna, some 30 m.
The course of the Tigris is much shorter than that of the Euphrates, about 1150 m.
At Bagdad it has an average breadth of about 200 yards and a current in flood time of about 44 m.
It is navigable for steamers to a point a little above the mouth of the Great Zab, about 30 m.
Of these canals the best known, and probably the greatest, was the Nahrawan, which, leaving the Tigris, on its eastern side, above Samarra, over loo m.
At Bagdad the Tigris and Euphrates are less than 35 m.
Opposite Mosul are the ruins of ancient Nineveh, the last capital of Assyria, and 20 m.
These were each about 51 English m.
The Oise, Aisne and Marne are navigable, and canalsfurnish 170 m.
It is 127 m.
The principal rivals of the Aleuadae were the Scopadae of Crannon, the remains of which (called by the Turks Old Larissa) are about 14 m.
The total length of the river is estimated at 2860 m.
New Lanark (pop. 795), I m.
Lee House, the home of the Lockharts, is 3 m.
Its greatest length is about 15 m.
A short distance south of the city is Red Mountain, 25 m.
Each of these contains an active substance, which can be obtained in crystalline foi m, and is known as podophyllotoxin.
The capital is Ciudad Bolivar, formerly called Angostura, which is situated on the right bank of the Orinoco about 240 m.
Its chief town and the residence of the governor used to be Joshekan-Kali, a large village with fine gardens, formerly famous for its carpets (kali), but now the chief place is Maimeh, a little city with a population of 2500, situated at an elevation of 6670 ft., about 63 m.
In the 4th century Basil, when bishop, established an ecclesiastical centre on the plain, about 1 m.
The three lakes - whose greatest lengths are 260, 122 and 119 m.
The Assiniboine river enters the Red river 45 m.
The Winnipeg, which flows from the territory lying south-east of Lake Winnipeg, is a noble river some 200 m.
Above these steamers ply to Fort Edmonton, a point upwards of 800 m.
It is chiefly a prairie region, with treeless plains of from 5 to 40 m.
The river banks, however, are fringed with trees, and in the more undulating lands the timber belts vary from a few hundreds of yards to 5 or 10 m.
Denver is an important railway centre, being served by nine railways, of which the chief are the Atchison, ' Topeka & Santa Fe; the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy; the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific; the Denver & Rio Grande; the Union Pacific; and the Denver, North-Western & Pacific, Denver lies on the South Platte river, at an altitude exactly m.
The site is a level oblong tract extending along the Hudson for 7 m.
The drying-up process has been comparatively rapid since the middle of the 19th century, a town which in 1850 was on the southern margin of the lake being in 1905 over 20 m.
They are generally low, being composed of sand and clay, and lie from 5 to 20 m.
Besides the Shari, the only important stream entering Lake Chad is the Waube or Yo (otherwise the Komadugu Yobe), which rises near Kano, and flowing eastward enters the lake on its western side 40 m.
It then turns south-west, and, after receiving the Noce (right) and the Avisio (left), leaves Tirol, and enters Lombardy, 13 m.
The average elevation of Buenos Aires is about 65 ft.; of Mercedes, 70 m.
Another river of this class is the Carcaranal, about 300 m.
The Lujan rises near Mercedes, province of Buenos Aires, is about 150 m.
Perhaps the best natural harbour of the republic is that of Bahia Blanca, a large bay of good depth, sheltered by islands, and 534 m.
In the extreme north a little over a degree and a half of territory lies within the torrid zone, extending from the Pilcomayo about 500 m.
The Transandine line, designed to open railway communication between Buenos Aires and Valparaiso, was so far completed early in 1909 that on the Argentine side only the summit tunnel, 2 m.
In 1902 the total length of wires strung was 28,125 m.; in 1906 it had been increased to 34,080 m.
Rosas met the allies at the head of a body of troops fully equal in numbers to their own, but was crushingly routed, February 3rd, at Monte Caseros, about io m.
The Lake of Geneva, which forms 32 m.
Each department controls and maintains the routes dpartementales, usually good macadamized roads connecting the chief places within its limits and extending in 1903 over 9700 m.
In return for the privileges granted them the companies undertook the construction out of their own unaided resources of 1500 m.
Next year a large programme of railway expansion was adopted, at an estimated cost to the state of 14o,000,000, and from 1880 to 1882 nearly 40,000,000 was expended and some 18cc m.
Narrow gauge and normal gauge railways of local interest covered 3905 m.
The town has a station on the Anatolian railway, about 60 m.
Its course is about 600 m.
It has manufactures of coarse cloth, spirits and soap. The nearest railway station is Calasparra, 6 m.
The nearest island to the South American coast lies 580 m.
In shape Aegina is triangular, 8 m.
The sea-front, overlooking the English Channel, stretches nearly 4 m.
The plain is about II m.
The principal water supply is derived from the Macarao river, 15 m.
Railway connexion with the port of La Guaira was opened in 1883 by means of a line 23 m.
It has a length of 295 m.
Below the town of Bergerac it enters the department of Gironde, where at Libourne it is joined by the Isle and widens cut, attaining at its union with the Garonne 45 m.
The influence of the highest tides is felt at Pessac, a distance of 100 m.
The village lies 2 m.
It is situated in a fertile plain 142 m.
The length of the island is about 45 m.
Its greatest length is 2400 m.
This is equal to 1 m.
The outer edge of this ledge is roughly parallel to the coast of Western Australia, and more than 150 m.
The edge of the abysmal area comes close to the eastern coasts of Tasmania and New South Wales, approaching to within 60 m.
The channel between the reef and the coast is in places 70 m.
Kangaroo Island, at the entrance of St Vincent Gulf, is one of the largest islands on the Australian coast, measuring 80 m.
On the north coast are Melville and Bathurst Islands; the former, which is 75 m.
The Snowy river has the greater part of its course in New South Wales, but its mouth and the last 120 m.
Westward of South Australia, on the shores of the Australian Bight, there is a stretch of country 300 m.
The Victoria river is navigable for large vessels for a distance of about 43 m.
The Daly, which in its upper course is called the Katherine, is navigable for a considerable distance, and small vessels are able to ascend over 100 m.
The South Alligator river, flowing into Van Diemen's Gulf, is also a fine stream, navigable for over 30 m.
The Roper is a magnificent stream, navigable for about 75 or 80 m.
Lake Torrens, the largest of these depressions, sometimes forms a sheet of water 100 m.
The north-west coast, particularly the portions north of Cambridge Gulf and the shores of the Gulf of Carpentaria, are favoured with an annual visitation of the monsoon from December to March, penetrating as far as Soo m.
Ballarat, the second city of Victoria, lies above 100 m.
This region is backed by a belt of about zoo m.
Bali is separated from Lombok by a strait not more than 15 m.
In 1887 gold was found in Yilgarn, about 200 m.
Large deposits of alum occur close to the village of Bulladelah, 30 m.
There were on the 30th of June 1905, 15,000 m.
Excluding coal lines and other lines not open to general traffic, the length of railways in private hands is only 382 m.
To him we owe the exploration of the coast for about goo m.
Still sailing northward, taking notes as he proceeded for a rough chart of the coast, and landing at Bustard and Keppel Bays and the Bay of Inlets, Cook passed over 1300 m.
A valuable extension of geographical knowledge had been gained by this circuitous journey of more than Boo m.
In 1823 Lieutenant Oxley proceeded to Moreton Bay and Port Curtis, the first place 500 m., the other 690 m.
This stream, the Murray, in the upper part of its course runs in a north-westerly direction, but afterwards turning southwards, almost at a right angle, expands into Lake Alexandrina on the south coast, about 60 m.
The expedition reached the Darling on the 25th of May 1833, and after establishing a depot at Fort Bourke, Mitchell traced the Darling southwards for 300 m.
These waters had been erroneously taken for parts of one vast horseshoe or sickle shaped lake, only some 20 m.
Mr Gosse, with men and horses provided by the South Australian government, started on the 21st of April from the telegraph station So m.
In August it was found at Anderson's Creek, near Melbourne; a few weeks later the great Ballarat gold-field, 80 m.
The seat of government was to be within New South Wales, not less than 100 m.
The convex side rests upon the duchy of Coburg and is in part bounded by Bavaria, while the concave side, turned towards the north, contains portions of four other Thuringian states and Prussia between its horns, which are 46 m.
Rottum was once the property of the ancient abbey at Rottum, 8 m.
There is regular communication with Naples, both by steamer direct, and also by steamer to Torregaveta, 2 m.
It is served by the Tuskegee railway, which connects it with Chehaw, 5 m.
The total length of these railways in Bukhara was about 400 m.
It has a station on the Cambrian line between Moat Lane and Brecon, and two others (high and low levels) at Builth Road about 14 m.
It was with the expectation that he might, with local aid, seize the castle, that Llewellyn invaded this district in December 1282, when he was surprised and killed by Stephen de Frankton in a ravine called Cwm Llewellyn on the left bank of the Irfon, 22 m.
Crystals are prismatic, acicular or scaly in habit; they have a perfect cleavage parallel to the brachypinacoid (M in the figure).
The breadth at the widest point, from Tanjong Pen-unjut in Trengganu to Tanjong Hantu in the Dindings territory, is about 200 m.
The Bernam runs through flat swampy country for the greater part of its course, and steam-launches can penetrate to a distance of over 100 m.
The Muar waters a very fertile valley, and is navigable for native boats for over 150 m.
The deepest rivers are the Kuantan and Rompin; the largest are the Kelantan and the Pahang, both of which are navigable for native boats for a distance of over 250 m.
The Trengganu river is obstructed by impassable rapids at a distance of about 30 m.
The state has a shore line upon it of 150 m.
Willoughby Lake is about 6 m.
The southern part of the state was early opened to railways, the Sullivan County railway (operated by the Boston & Maine) having been opened in 1849; and in 1850 the state had 290 m.
The only river with traffic of commercial importance is Otter Creek, flowing northwards into the southern part of Lake Champlain and having a navigable length of 8 m.
Mrs. M`Donnell - who was but sixteen - escaped to the British fleet disguised as a midshipman, carrying a basket of vegetables in which her baby was hidden.
Of the suburbs the most picturesque is Mustapha Superieur, about m.
Notre-Dame d'Afrique, a church built (1858-1872) in a mixture of the Roman and Byzantine styles, is conspicuously situated, overlooking the sea, on the shoulder of the Bu Zarea hills, m.
But the most distinguishing features of Fermanagh are the Upper and Lower Loughs Erne, which occupy a great extent of its surface, stretching for about 45 m.
At Belcoo, near Enniskillen, there is a famous well called Daragh Phadric, held in repute by the peasantry for its cure of paralytic and other diseases; and 4 m.
The principal are Lisnaskea, Irvi nestown(formerly Lowtherstown), M aguires bridge, Tempo, Newtownbutler, Belleek, Derrygonnelly and Kesh, at which fairs are held.
The chief place of interest to the antiquary is Devenish Island in Lough Erne, about 2 m.
The position is strong, being protected by the two rivers mentioned, and the medieval fortifications, which are nearly 2 m.
The British minister demanded from the national government M`Leod's release, but his case was in the New York courts, over which the national government has no jurisdiction.
It is one of the most frequented watering-places of Europe, lying on the outskirts of the Kaiserwald at an altitude of 2093 ft., and is 40 m.
Amongst the places of interest round Marienbad is the basaltic rock of Podhorn (2776 ft.), situated about 3 m.
They number twenty, according to Japanese investigations, and have a coast-line of 174.65 m.
It is by rail 12 m.
Soon afterwards it receives the Swat river from the north and the Bara river from the south, and after a further course of 40 m.
Thence it runs westward to Florence and through the gorge of Golfolina onwards to Empoli and Pisa, receiving various tributaries in its course, and falls into the sea 71 m.
The distance from Pisa to the mouth in the time of Strabo was only 22 m.
The capital of the little province is Natanz, a large village with a population of about 3000, situated 69 m.
The coastline is only 32 m.
From the coast northward the extreme length is 350 m.
Thus if the instrument depends on the pressure or suction effect alone, and this pressure or suction is measured against the air pressure in an ordinary room, in which the doors and windows are carefully closed and a newspaper is then burnt up the chimney, an effect may be produced equal to a wind of io m.
If a body whose mass is m grammes be moving with a velocity of v centimetres per second relative to the earth, the available kinetic energy possessed by the system is Zmv 2 ergs if m be small relative to the earth.
But if we consider two bodies each of mass m and one of them moving with velocity v relative to the other, only 4mv 2 units of work is available from this system alone.
This dockyard covers an area of 516 acres, and has a river frontage of over 3 m.
On the Ness two lighthouses have been built at different levels, the lights of which are visible at 13 and 16 m.
It collects nearly all the drainage of the Udaipur plateau with that of the eastern slopes and hill-tracts of the Aravallis, and joins the Chambal a little beyond the northeastern extremity of the Bundi state, after a course of about 300 m.
The only basin of any extent is the Sambhar salt lake, of about 50 m.
Above the harbour, between the forts Stella and Falcone, is the palace of Napoleon I., and 4 m.
She started from Valentia at the end of July, but fault after fault was discovered in the cable and the final misfortune was that on the 2nd of August, when nearly 1200 m.
It was stated by Sir Charles Bright in 1887 that by that date 107,000 m.
The total lengths of the land lines of the telegraphs throughout the world in 1907 were 1,015,894 m.
Heaviside in 1887 succeeded in communicating by telephonic speech between the surface of the earth and the subterranean galleries of the Broomhill collieries, 350 feet deep, by laying above and below ground two complete metallic circuits, each about 24 m.
In 1892, on the Bristol Channel, he established communication between Lavernock Point and an island called Flat Holme in that channel by placing at these positions insulated single-wire circuits, earthed at both ends and laid as far as possible parallel to each other, the distance between them being 3.3 m.
The average perpendicular distance between the two lines, which are roughly parallel, is 2.8 m.
The shortest distance between the two places is 4 m.
By stretching on the island and mainland parallel wire circuits earthed at each end, good telephonic communication over an average distance of 62 m.
Rathenau of Berlin made many experiments in 1894 in which, by means of a conductive system of wireless telegraphy, he signalled through 3 m.
Later the Bournemouth station was removed to Poole Harbour, and the Alum Bay station to Niton in the Isle of Wight, the distance being thus increased to 30 m.
In March 1899 communication was effected by his system between England (South Foreland lighthouse) and France (Wimereux, near Boulogne), a distance of 30 m.
In January 1901 he established communication by his system between the Lizard in Cornwall and Niton in the Isle of Wight, a distance of 200 m.
If L and N are the inductances of any two circuits which have a coefficient of mutual inductance M, then M/-/ (LN) is called the coefficient of coupling of the circuits and is generally expressed as a percentage.
This result created a great sensation, and proved that Transatlantic electric wave telegraphy was quite feasible and not inhibited by distance, or by the earth's curvature even over an arc of a great circle 3000 m.
In the course of this voyage he noticed that the signals were received better during the night than the daytime, legible messages being received on a Morse printer only 700 m.
Cuyaba has uninterrupted steamer communication with Montevideo, about 2500 m.
Conversation has been carried on over 2200 m.
The company's appeal against the decision was withdrawn, the Postmaster-General agreeing to grant licences for restricted areas of about 5 m.
The number of trunk wire centres open on the 31st of March 1907 was 533, and the total number of trunk circuits was 2043, containing about 73,000 m.
The length of underground pipes which had been laid in the metropolitan area for telephone purposes was 2030 m.
Cables containing 317,789 m.
The capital is Therezina, on the right bank of the Parnahyba, 250 m.
When crossing a desert camels are expected to carry their loads 25 m.
The northern portion, measured from the Alps at the Monte Viso to the mouth of the Po, has a breadth of about 270 m., while the maximum breadth, from the Rocca Chiardonnet near Susa to a peak in the valley of the Isonzo, is 354 m.
But the peninsula of Italy, which forms the the largest portion of the country, nowhere exceeds 150 m.
Its southern extremity, Calabria, forms a complete peninsula, being united to the mass of Lucania or the Basilicata by an isthmus isthmus 35 m.
At the present day the frontier between Austria and the kingdom of Italy crosses the Adige about 30 m.
Of these the Ticino itself has its source about 10 m.
Or the west side of the lake the Toccia or Tosa descends from the pass of the Gries nearly due south to Domodossola, where it receives the waters of the Doveria from the Simplon, and a few miles lower down those of the Val d'Anzasca from the foot of Monte Rosa, and 12 m.
The next great affluent of the Po, the Adda, forms the outflow of the Lake of Como, and has also its sources in the Alps, above Bormio, whence it flows through the broad and fertile valley of the Valtellina for more than 65 m.
The Adda flows out of the lake at its south-eastern extremity at Lecco, and has thence a course through the plain of above 70 m.
The Adige, formed by the junction of two streams—the Etsch or Adige proper and the Eisak, both of which belong to Tirol rather than to Italy—descends as far as Verona, where it enters the great plain, with a course from north to south nearly parallel to the rivers last described, and would seem likely to discharge its waters into those of the Po, but below Legnago it turns eastward and runs parallel to the Po for about 40 m., entering the Adriatic by an independent mouth about 8 m.
The Po itself, which is here a very large stream, with an average width of 400 to 600 yds., continues to flow with an undivided mass of waters as far as Sta Maria di Ariano, where it parts into two arms, known as the Po di Maestra and Po di Goro, and these again are subdivided into several other branches, forming a delta above 20 m.
The southernmost of these, the Po di Primaro, enters the Adriatic about 12 m.
The whole course of the river, including its windings, is estimated at about 450 m.
Few towns of any importance are found either on their northern or southern declivity, and the former region especially, though occupying a tract of from 30 to 40 m.
The line of the highest summits and of the watershed ranges is about 30 to 40 m.
In this part the Apennines are separated from the sea, distant about 30 m.
The most considerable rivers of Tuscany south of the Arno are the Cecina, which flows through the plain below Volterra, and the Ombrone, which rises in the hills near Siena, and enters the sea about 12 m.
The Tiber, a much more important river than the Arno, and the largest in Italy with the exception of the Po, rises in the Apennines, about 20 m.
The great central mass of the Apennines, which has held its course throughout Central Italy, with a general direction from north-west to south-east, may be considered as continued in the same direction for about 100 m.
This projecting tract, which may be termed the "heel" or "spur" of Southern Italy, in conjunction with the great promontory of Calabria, forms the deep Gulf of Taranto, about 70 m.
The Liri (Liris) or Garigliano, which has its source in the central Apennines above Sora, not far from Lake Fucino, and enters the Gulf of Gaeta about 10 m.
Next in size is the Lago Trasimeno, a broad expanse of shallow waters, about 30 m.
Of the smaller islands that lie near the coasts of Italy, the most considerable is that of Elba, off the west coast of central Italy, about 50 m.
North of this, and about midway between Corsica and Tuscany, is the small island of Capraia, steep and rocky, and only 4½ m.
The Euganean hills form a small group extending for about 10 m.
In the same way, whilst in the plains and hills round Naples snow is rarely seen, and never remains long, and the thermometer seldom descends to the freezing-point, 20 m.
If we turn inland but 5 or 6 m.
The other principal port of shipping is Gioia Tauro, 30 m.
Sulphur mining M h 1 supplies large industries of sulphur-refining and grinding, - in spite of American competition.
By i881 there were some 5500 m.
In July 1905 all the principal lines, which had been constructed by the state, but had been since 1885 let out to three companies (Mediterranean, Adriatic, Sicilian), were taken over by the state; their length amounted in 1901 to 6147 m., and in f 907 to 8422 m.
The total length, including the Sardinian railways, was 10,368 m.
One of the fastest runs is from Rome to Orte, 52-40 m.
Between 1875, when the first lila was opened, and 1901, the length of the lines grew to 1890 m.
The total length of navigable rivers is 967 m.
Rome is plotected by a circle of forts from a coup de main from the sea, the coast, only 12 m.
Communications with the south-east were mainly provided by the Via Appia (the queen of Roman roads, as Statius called it) and the Via Latina, which met close to Casiinum, at the crossing of the Volturnus, 3 m.
This ambitious marshal, brother-in-law of Napoleon, foiled in his hope of gaining the crown of Spain, received that of Naples in the summer of 1808, Joseph Bonaparte being moved M
The Italians, including camp-followers, numbered less than 25,000 men, a force too small for effective action, but too large to be easily provisioned at 200 m.
In November of this year he obtained a renewal of his pension of J350o a year from the post office which he was holding in 1 The title was taken, not from Leeds in Yorkshire, but from Leeds in Kent, 41 m.
It is served by the Virginia and Truckee railway, which has repair shops here, and by stage to Lake Tahoe, 12 m.
Friern Barnet, in the Enfield parliamentary division of Middlesex, lies 3 m.
Large and small, they number 204, and lie 590 m.
Between the Andamans and Cape Negrais intervene two small groups, Preparis and Cocos; between the Andamans and Sumatra lie the Nicobar Islands, the whole group stretching in a curve, to which the meridian forms a tangent between Cape Negrais and Sumatra; and though this curved line measures 700 m., the widest sea space is about 91 m.
The extreme length of the Andaman group is 219 m.
The harbour of Port Blair is well supplied with buoys and harbour lights, and is crossed by ferries at fixed intervals, while there are several launches for hauling local traffic. On Ross Island there is a lighthouse visible for 19 m.
The remarkable medusa Mnestra parasites is ecto-para- '"' rp m sitic throughout life sr..
A-D are stages common to both; from D arises the hydrotheca (E) or the gonotheca (F); th, theca; st, stomach; 1, tentacles; m, mouth; mb, medusa-buds.
M, Medusoid gonophores.
Physalia, general view, diagrammatic; B, cormidium of Physalia; D, palpon; T, palpacle; G, siphon; GP, gonopalpon; M d', male gonophore; M y, female gonophore, ultimately set free.
It is situated on the right bank of the Moselle, about 6 m.
The original road was no doubt only gravelled (glarea strata); in 298 B.C. a footpath was laid saxo quadrato from the Porta Capena, by which it left Rome, to the temple of Mars, about 1 m.
The distance from Rome to Capua was 132 m.
From Beneventum to Brundusium by the Via Appia, through Venusia and Tarentum, was 202 m.
This was restored by Hadrian for the 15 m.
Within the limits of the town, which is 6 m.
It has direct communication with the sea by a ship-canal, greatly enlarged and deepened since 1895, which connects the Grand Basin, stretching along the north side of the city, with a spacious harbour excavated at Terneuzen on the Scheldt, 212 m.
Most of the charitable institutions - for instance, the convalescent home, fever hospital, home for girls and Red House home - are situated at Inveresk, about 12 m.
The archipelago is divided into two groups - the Leeward (lies sous le Vent) and the Windward Islands (Iles du Vent) - by a clear channel of 60 m.
In Alexandria about the middle of the 3rd century it was already 1 M von Rohr, Zeitschr.
It is situated at the mouth of an arm of Hauraki Gulf, and is only 6 m.
The city is situated on the south bank of the Ganges, 40 m.
The river Aube is navigable for 28 m.
Extensions of the flora occur southwards of the high mountains of tropical Africa; A denocaf pus, a characteristic Mediterranean genus, has been found on Kilimanjaro and 2000 m.
The new capital of Persis was Istakhr on the Pulwar, about q m.
The same end was sought by Christopher Columbus, following the Colu m.
They built small vessels at Yakutsk on the Lena, 900 m.
Its outlet is Abitibbi river, a rapid stream, which after a course of 200 m.
The Ohio State University (non-sectarian and co-educational), opened as the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College in 1873, and reorganized under its present name in 1878, is 3 m.
From the Lousberg and the Salvatorberg to the north, the latter crowned by a chapel, magnificent views of the city are obtained; while covering the hills 2 m.
The hilly peninsula, to which Portland was confined until the annexation of the town of Deering in 1899, is nearly 3 m.
Bramhall Hill commands an extensive view west and north-west of the bay, the mainland, and the White Mountains some 80 m.
The city is supplied with good water from Lake Sebago, 17 m.
Remains of Comana are still to be seen near a village called Gumenek on the Tozanli Su, 7 m.
A railway from Buenaventura will give Cali and the valley behind it, with which it is connected by over 200 m.
In the modern church of St Stephen (1854) are preserved tiles from the former Cistercian abbey of Bordesley, founded in 1138, of which the site may be traced at Bordesley Park, 2 m.
The present name is El-Jib; this is a small village about 5 m.
It is roughly oblong in form, measuring about 80 m.
There are salt works and important coal deposits in its vicinity, the latter at Naricual and Capiricual, 12 m.
The levels are connected by flights of steps, and are composed of a labyrinth of chambers and passages, whose length aggregates over 65 m.
The most important river is the Ili, which enters the province from Kulja and drains it for 250 m.
The length of the Frat is about 275 m.; of the Murad, 415 m.; and of the Euphrates from the junction to Samsat, 115 m.
The middle division, which extends from Samsat to Hit, is about 720 m.
From this point the river runs rather east of south for about 25 m.
A day's journey beyond this, on the Syrian side, stand the remains of ancient Sura, a frontier fortress of the Romans against the Parthians; 20 m.
At this point the river turns sharply a little north of east, continuing on that course somewhat over 40 m.
Hit stands almost at the head of the alluvial deposit, about 550 m.
It consists of an island named Abbadan, about 45 m.
The length of the Euphrates from its source at Diadin to the sea is about 1800 m., and its fall during the last 1 zoo m.
The town, which is situated about 2 m.
The greater part of the city is built on the bottom-lands of the valley within an area 2 m.
Much of the building material is a brown sandstone obtained from quarries only 3 m.
Natural gas is piped to Frostburg from the West Virginia fields, 120 m.
The mountains are covered with one of the noblest redwood forests of the state - the only one south of San Francisco; two groves, the Sempervirens Park (4000 acres) and the Fremont Grove of Big Trees, 5 m.
The river is embanked and is crossed by the Pont Doumer, a fine railway bridge over i m.
It has a seaboard on the Atlantic Ocean of 120 m., a shore-line to the south on the Rio de la Plata of 235 m., and one of 270 m.
The extent of the northern frontier is 450 m.
In addition to the natural lines of communication provided by the rivers bordering on or belonging to the republic, there are about 2240 m.
The railways had a length of 1380 m.
There are over 170 m.
Constant use, increased friction (m o r e especially at high speeds), and damage to the rotator will alter an ascertained log error; head or following seas, strong winds, currents and tidal streams also FIG.
It is a station on the East Indian railway, 368 m.
It is 824 m.
Outside the city there is a "belt line," 151 m.
The city of Rionero in Volture is pleasantly situated 27 m.
It is about 23 m.
Inversnaid is the point of arrival and departure for the Trossachs coaches, and here, too, there is a graceful waterfall, fed by the Arklet from the loch of that name, 22 m.
Inversnaid was in the heart of the Macgregor country, and the name of Rob Roy is still given to his cave on the loch side a mile to the north and to his prison 3 m.
It maintains a breadth of some 7 m.
The river Nuon also is situated 20 or 30 m.
It is navigable from the sea for some 80 m.
It rises in the Nimba mountains some 10 m.
The important river Lofa flows nearly parallel with the St Paul's river and enters the sea about 40 m.
Finally, by the English and French treaties of 1885 and 1892 Liberian territory on the coast was made continuous, but was limited to the strip of about 300 m.
There is a branch line from Inverurie to Old Meldrum, 54 m.
The Barron Falls, among the finest in Australia, are near Kuranda, 19 m.
The important prehistoric necropolis of Anghelu Ruju was excavated in 1904 62 m.
Bali is 93 m.
It is more than 30 m.
It is situated on Brassay Sound, a fine natural harbour, on the east coast of the island called Mainland, 115 m.
The town dates from the beginning of the r 7th century, and the older part consists of a flagged causeway called Commercial Street, running for 1 m.
The total length of the frontier line of the Russian empire by land is 2800 m.
The great territory occupied by European Russia - 1600 m.
Finally a fifth depression, which descends below the level of the ocean, extends for more than zoo m.
The Pruth rises in Austrian Bukovina, and separates Russia from Rumania; it enters the Danube, which flows along the Russian frontier for 100 m.
Below Ekaterinoslav the Dnieper flows for 46 m.
In 1860 Russia possessed less than 1000 m.
Between 1895 and 1905 the building of railways proceeded at a rapid rate, the total length nearly doubling within the ten years, namely, from 22,600 to 40,500 m.
The most important of the new railways is the Siberian, of which the first section, Chelyabinsk to Omsk, was opened in December 1895, and which, except for a short section round Lake Baikal, in 1901 was completed right through to Stryetensk, on the Shilka, the head of navigation on the Shilka and the Amur, 2710 m.
This runs for 222 m.
There is steamer communication with Stettin, about 40 m.
This line, with three branches, was over 38 m.
The train moved off at the rate of from to to 12 m.
A train weighing 92 tons could be drawn by one engine at the rate of 5 m.
The engine drew a train weighing 13 tons 35 m.
In 1828, on behalf of the Delaware && Hudson Canal Company, which had determined to build a line, 16 m.
It is reported to have hauled 40 or 50 passengers in 4 or 5 cars at a speed of 16-21 m.
In 1831 the Baltimore & Ohio Company offered a prize of $4000 for an American engine weighing 32 tons, able to draw 15 tons at 15 m.
Meanwhile the Canadian Pacific, a true transcontinental line, was built from Montreal, on Atlantic tide-water, to the Pacific at Vancouver, 2906 m.
The main line was finished in 1902, except for a length of about 170 m.
A transcontinental line was long ago undertaken across South America from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso, where the continent is only about goo m.
In Canada the Canadian Pacific was the only transcontinental line, extending from St John, on the bay of Fundy, and from Quebec, on the river St Lawrence, to Vancouver, on the strait of Georgia, the distance from St John to Vancouver being approximately 3379 m.
The greatest increase, both relative and absolute, was in Queensland; the smallest in South Australia, which added only 24 m.
Harriman died he exercised direct authority over more than 50,000 m.
The subsoil was composed principally of clay and sand, and the railway had to be carried over the moss on the level, requiring cutting, and embanking for upwards of 4 m.
The earliest arrangement of this kind was patented by John Blenkinsop, of the Middleton Colliery, near Leeds, in 1811, and an engine built on his plan by Mathew Murray, also of Leeds, began in 1812 to haul coals from Middleton to Leeds over a line 32 m.
In this case electricity was to be the motive-power, and speeds exceeding ioo m.
Thus if the maximum horse-power which a locomotive can develop is woo, the tractive resistance R, at 60 m.
If, however, the speed is reduced to 15 m.
This formula is valid between speeds of 37 and 77 m.
Hence Engine resistance, R e = 80 X20 = 1600 lb Vehicle resistance, R v =200 X8.5 = 1700 „ Train resistance, R = 3300 „ The speed, 40 m.
This is the horse-power, therefore, which must be developed in the cylinders to maintain the train in motion at a uniform speed of 40 m.
Therefore the horse-power which must be developed in the cylinders to effect this change of speed is from (21) H.P.280X2240X0 113X59 = _237 55 0 X 32 The rate of working is negative when the train is retarded; for instance, if the train had changed its speed from 41 to 40 m.
For example, suppose it is required to start a train weighing 200 tons from rest and bring it to a speed of 30 m.
The average velocity is 15 m.
The form of the torque curve, or crank effort curve, as it is sometimes called, is discussed in the article Steam Engine, and the torque curve corresponding to actual indicator diagrams taken from an express passenger engine travelling at a speed of 65 m.
Assuming that the train is required to run at a speed of 60 m.