Lunda sentence example
- Angola is divided into five districts: four on the coast, the fifth, Lunda, wholly inland, being the N.E.
- Lunda is part of the old Bantu kingdom of Muata Yanvo, divided by international agreement between Portugal and the Congo Free State.
- Lund (Londinum Gothorum), the "Lunda at Eyrarsund" of Egil's Saga, was of importance in Egil's time (c. 920).
- - Declaration approving delimitation of Lunda region.
- They have given their name to the Lunda district of Angola.Advertisement
- From the 16th century (and possibly earlier) down to the close of the 19th century the Lunda peoples formed a more or less homogeneous state, the successive sovereigns being known as the Muata Yanvo.
- Later on a chief named Kalambo carved out a new" empire in the central part of the Kasai basin, his authority extending westward from the upper Sankuru into the Lunda district of Angola.
- Where the forest thins to the savanna and steppe, and communication is easier, are found the larger kingdoms and " empires " such as, in the north those established by the Songhai, Hausa, Fula, Bagirmi, Ba-Hima, &c., and in the south the states of Lunda, Kazembe, the Ba-Rotse, &c.
- Turning to the Congo basin in the south, the great Luba and Lunda peoples are found stretching nearly across the continent, the latter, from at any rate the end of the 16th century until the close of the 19th century, more or less united under a single ruler, styled Muata Yanvo.