Locum sentence example
- Unlike the advocate, however, the vice-dominus was at the outset an ecclesiastic, who acted as the bishop's lieutenant (locum tenens) or vicar.
- If there was no son capable, the state put in a locum tenens, but granted one-third to the wife to maintain herself and children.
- He often commanded an army in person, and was then given the title of serdari-ekrem (generalissimo); one of the subordinate viziers remained behind as kaimmakam, or locum tenens.
- The tenure of the presidential office was for two years, and at every alternate election Guzman Blanco was declared to be duly and legally chosen to fill the post of chief magistrate of the republic. In 1889 there was an open revolt against the dictatorial system so long in vogue; and President Rojas Paul, Blanco's locum tenens, was forced to flee the country and take refuge in the Dutch colony of Curacoa.
- Abdullah Kuprili, a son of Mustafa Fazil Kuprili, was appointed Kaimmakam or locum tenens of the grand vizier in 1703.Advertisement
- His pupil Cuthberht recorded this fact in a letter to a fellow-student, Cuthwine: " a capite sancti evangelii Johannis usque ad eum locum in quo dicitur, ` sed haec quid sunt inter tantos ?'
- As far as the circlesquaring functions are concerned, it would seem that Gregory was the first (in 1670) to make known the series for the arc in terms of the tangent, the series for the tangent in terms of the arc, and the secant in terms of the arc; and in 1669 Newton showed to Isaac Barrow a little treatise in manuscript containing the series for the arc in terms of the sine, for the sine in terms of the arc, and for the cosine in terms of the arc. These discoveries 1 See Euler, ” Annotationes in locum quendam Cartesii," in Nov.
- His immediate successor was Sir George Barlow, a civil servant of the company, who, as a locum tenens, had no alternative but to carry out faithfully the orders of his employers.
- The emperor consented to appoint him his viceroy (locum tenens per Transylvaniam), and the sultan ratified his election.
- Although he has officially retired, Mr Townsend has returned to Frenchay Hospital to work as a locum consultant surgeon.Advertisement