Lobelias sentence example
- The alpine vegetation on all these lofty mountains is of a mixed Cape and Abyssinian character - witch-hazels, senecios, lobelias, kniphofias, everlasting flowers, tree heaths and hypericums. The really tropical vegetation of Buganda is nearly identical with that of West Africa, but there is no oil-palm.
- - This term is chiefly applied to those summerflowering plants, such as ivy-leaved and zonal pelargoniums, petunias, dwarf lobelias, verbenas, &c., which are employed in masses for filling the beds of a geometrical parterre.
- Take up, dry and store dahlias and all tender tubers at the end of the month; pot lobelias and similar half-hardy plants from the open borders.
- Higher still lies the moorland zone, where a cover of giant heather is studded with otherworldly giant lobelias.
- Isotoma - I. axillaris is a showy half-hardy plant, resembling some of the dwarfer Lobelias, its growth dense and compact, the flowers 1/2 inch across, star-shaped, and of a pale blue, continuing a long time, even till cut off by frosts.Advertisement
- If preserved in a frame during winter, after the manner of bedding Lobelias, it is perennial, and may be propagated in spring by cuttings.
- One of the difficulties in carrying dwarf Lobelias in full beauty through the season is the freedom with which they seed, and the moment the flowers fade they should be picked off every week throughout the season.
- Dwarf Lobelias may be propagated by seeds or cuttings.
- Other dwarf Lobelias are ramosa, with large light-blue flowers, and coronopifolia, also with large blue flowers.
- Locust Tree - These tall Lobelias have a great attraction for me, and my experience of their ways may be of use to others.Advertisement