Loa sentence example
- Cinder cones are the predominant type of craters on both Mauna Kea and the Kohala Mountains, and they are also numerous on the upper slopes of Mauna Hualalai; but the more typically Hawaiian pit or engulfment craters also abound on Mauna Hualalai and Mokuaweoweo, crowning the summit of Mauna Loa, as well as Kilauea, to the S.E.
- The surface of the upper slopes of Mauna Loa is almost wholly of two widely different kinds of barren lava-flows, called by the Hawaiians the pahoehoe and the aa.
- The adult stage of this form is the Filaria loa found in the subcutaneous tissues of the limbs.
- But the eruptions of Mauna Loa have consisted mainly in the quiet discharge of enormous flows of lava: in 1859 the lava-stream, which began to run on the 23rd of January, flowed N.W., reached the sea, 33 m.
- Another curious feature of Mauna Loa, and to some extent of other Hawaiian volcanoes, is the great number of caves, some of them as much as 60 to 80 ft.Advertisement
- The mamo (Drepanis pacifica) has large golden feathers on its back; it is now very rare, and is seldom found except on Mauna Loa, Hawaii, about 4000 ft.
- The principal rivers of this region are Sama (which forms the provisional boundary line with Peru), Tacna, Camarones, Loa, Copiapo, Huasco, Elqui, Limari and Choapa.
- Mauna Loa (" Great Mountain "), on the S., is by far the largest volcano in the world; from a base measuring at sea-level about 75 m.
- Mauna Loa and Kilauea are still active.
- Formerly, on the eve of a great eruption of Mauna Loa, this crater often spouted forth great columns of flame and emitted clouds of vapour, but in modern times this action has usually been followed by a fracture of the mountain side from the summit down to a point moo ft.Advertisement
- The first recorded eruption of Mauna Loa was in 1832; since then there have been eruptions in 1851, 1852, 1855, 1859, 1868, 1880-1881, 1887, 1896,1899 and 1907.
- The position is usually ' Left occiput anterior ' or LOA - occasionally the baby may be Right Occiput Anterior or ROA.
- Mokuaweoweo, on the flat top of Mauna Loa, is a pit crater with a floor 3.7 sq.
- It is home to Volcanoes National Park, which includes Kilauea, one of the world's most active volcanoes as well as Mauna Loa, the world's largest.
- It includes Kilauea, one of the most active volcanoes in the world as well as Mauna Loa and Mauna Ulu.Advertisement
- The area is home to a number of black sand beaches, the famous orchid farms, and the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut factory.