Livery-companies sentence example
- Several of the great livery companies or gilds of the City possess fine halls, containing portraits and other collections of high interest and value.
- The Lord Mayor (q.v.) is elected by the Court of Aldermen from two aldermen nominated in the Court of Common Hall by the Livery, an electorate drawn from the members of the ancient trade gilds or Livery Companies (q.v.), which, through their control over the several trades or manufactures, had formerly an influence over the government of the city which from the time of Edward III.
- In 1383 the right of election reverted to the wards, but was obtained again by the livery companies in 1467.
- William Herbert published in 1837 History of the Twelve great Livery Companies of London, and in 1869 Thomas Arundell published Historical Reminiscences of the City and its Livery Companies.
- The livery companies now in existence are the following: Needlemakers.Advertisement
- At one time the position of the livery companies was a subject of much political discussion.
- The Salters ' Company is ranked ninth of the Twelve Great Livery Companies of the City of London.