Lithosphere sentence example
- The lithosphere is sometimes called Earth's skin, because it makes up its outer surface.
- Together, the solid lithosphere and the liquid hydrosphere form the surface of the earth.
- Surprisingly enough, the lithosphere is made up of only a few major tectonic plates.
- The outer part of the Earth is called the lithosphere.
- Lithosphere is called the solid part of the earth, including the crust and the uppermost mantle.Advertisement
- Research Traditionally my chief area of research has spanned a broad range of tectonic topics concentrating on the deformation of continental lithosphere.
- If the level of the sea were to become coincident with the mean level of the lithosphere, there would result one tri-radiate land-mass of nearly uniform outline and one continuous sheet of water ' Das Antlitz der Erde (4 vols., Leipzig, 1885, 1888, 1901).
- There is no evidence for subducted oceanic lithosphere in the eastern Alps above 400 km.
- Magmas that form island arcs are produced by the partial melting of the descending plate and/or the overlying oceanic lithosphere.
- In contrast, the thickness of oceanic lithosphere is much less.Advertisement
- This implies that the oceanic lithosphere is detached from continental lower lithosphere also in the eastern Alps.
- The models will be used to determine the rheology of the incipient oceanic lithosphere around the Dabbahu rift.
- It is convenient to divide the subject-matter of physical geography into the atmosphere, hydrosphere and lithosphere, and in this sense the ocean is less than the hydrosphere in so far as the latter term includes also the water lying on or flowing over the surface of the land.
- It merges into physical geography, which takes account of the forms of the lithosphere (geomorphology), and also of the distribution of the hydrosphere and the rearrangements resulting from the workings of solar energy throughout the hydrosphere and atmosphere (oceanography and climatology).
- Physical geography naturally falls into three divisions, dealing respectively with the surface of the lithosphere - geomorphology; the hydrosphere - oceanography; and the atmosphere - climatology.Advertisement
- The grander features of the relief of the lithosphere or stony crust of the earth control the distribution of the hydrosphere or collected waters which gather into the hollows, filling them up to a height corresponding to the volume, and thus producing the important practical division of the surface into land and water.
- Love has shown that the great features of the relief of the lithosphere may be expressed by spherical harmonics of the first, second and third degrees, and their formation related to gravitational action in a sphere of unequal density.'
- The surface of the earth consists of the hydrosphere and the lithosphere.