Lisps sentence example
- Parents of older children may need a referral to a speech and language specialist if their child stutters, lisps, has difficulty forming words or producing coherent speech, or exhibits certain learning disabilities.
- It has been thought that some of these children may be imitating another child or an adult who lisps.
- Lateral and palatal lisps are not found in typical speech development and should be evaluated by a speech-language pathologist.
- Most lisps are developmental and resolve themselves in children by the time they are about five to eight years old.
- These children may have serious self-esteem issues related to their lisps.Advertisement
- In these cases, seeing a speech-language pathologist early in their lives and correcting their lisps could bolster self-confidence and ability to learn.
- Sometimes, these same families suddenly decide that lisping is no longer cute and want their children to drop their lisps and grow up.
- Many young men, although they fear it may be too late, seek out speech-language pathologists as adults to correct their lisps because of this teasing.
- These children were older in years, it is true, than the baby who lisps, "Papa kiss baby--pretty," and fills out her meaning by pointing to her new dress; but their ability to understand and use language was no greater.