Lip-service sentence example
- The long-promised abolition of the grist tax was not explicitly mentioned, opposition to the railway redemption contracts was transformed into approval, and the vaunted reduction of taxation replaced by lip-service to the Conservative deity of financial equilibrium.
- Vainly did Louis, brought back a captive to Paris, swear on the I4th of September 1791 solemnly mere lip-service to the constitution; the mistrustful party of revolution abandoned the constitution they had only just obtained, and to guard against the sovereigns mental reservations and the selfish policy of the middle classes, appealed to the main force of the people.
- But Buddhist clergy continue to reject him as a fake or pay only lip service to Beijing's demands to recognize him.
- Unfortunately, in most cases there was little follow-through on the part of university administrations on a academic or administrative level beyond this lip-service.
- I don't want to sound too hostile to the Leppers - I suppose even lip service is better than nothing.Advertisement
- The blameless expression 'paying lip service ' translates into something very indelicate in German.
- However much lip-service may be paid at celebratory lunches.
- While paying lip-service to democracy they perpetuate an unhealthy oligarchy.
- The bourgeois revolutionists of France had all been philosophes, but their philosophy had at least paid lip-service to " reason "; the Russian revolutionists who formed the majority of the first and second Dumas, as though inspired by the exalted nonsense preached by Tolstoi, 1 subordinated reason to sentiment, until - their impracticable temper having been advertised to all the world - it became easy for the government to treat them as a mere excrescence on the national life, a malignant growth to be removed by a necessary operation.
- At this stage the Yugoslav delegation committed a grave tactical blunder, * Trumbic's views being overridden by the Balkan imperialistic aims of Pasic., While pleading for a plebiscite against Italy and doing lip service to an independent Albania within the frontiers of 1913, it added that in the event of any revision of those frontiers Yugoslavia would claim Skutari and all territory north of the river Drin (Drim).Advertisement
- We paid lip service to the touristy bit on arrival at Chester, followed by a swift adjournment to the pub.