Lexicographers sentence example
- The suggestion has been made by Wellhausen and Robertson Smith that the Passover was, in its original form, connected with the sacrifice of the firstlings, and the latter points to the Arabic annual sacrifices called Atair, which some of the lexicographers interpret as firstlings.
- The study of Arabic was taken up by lexicographers, grammarians and poets (mostly of foreign origin) with a zeal rarely shown elsewhere.
- The lexicographers mention as characteristics of the Eupatridae that they are the autochthonous population, the dwellers in the city, the descendants of the royal stock.
- His investigations into the usages and customs of his native Attica were embodied in an Atthis, in seventeen books, a history of Athens from the earliest times to 262 B.C. Considerable fragments are preserved in the lexicographers, scholiasts, Athenaeus, and elsewhere.
- Mr Roosevelt from the beginning apparently believed with the lexicographers that politics is the science and practice of government.Advertisement
- Here you find articles in the encyclopedia about linguists and lexicographers.
- Eldad is quoted as an authority on linguistic difficulties by the leading medieval Jewish grammarians and lexicographers.
- A leading position among Icelandic lexicographers is occupied by Jon porkeisson, formerly head of the Latin school at Reykjavik, whose Supplement til islandske Ordbcbger, an Icelandic-Danish vocabulary (three separate collections), has hardly been equalled in learning and accuracy.
- From his own younger contemporaries, Aristotle and Theophrastus, who founded their theory of rhetoric in large part on his practice, down to the latest Byzantines, the consent of theorists, orators, antiquarians, anthologists, lexicographers, offered the same unvarying homage to Demosthenes.
- Dictionaries You need to know that dictionaries are compiled by lexicographers, not usage experts.Advertisement
- Unlike most modern lexicographers, Johnson introduced humor or prejudice into many of his definitions.
- An expert team of Spanish and English lexicographers help give the book real depth and variety.
- He was a notable scholar in many fields, and one of a line of extraordinary Scottish lexicographers.
- They are also detailed and comprehensive as to contemporary language and are usually compiled by renowned lexicographers in both languages.
- Their long lists of the occurrences of words and forms fixed with accuracy the present (Masoretic) text, which they had produced, and were invaluable to subsequent lexicographers, while their system of vowel-points and accents not only gives us the pronunciation and manner of reading traditional about the 7th century A.D., but frequently serves also the purpose of an explanatory commentary.Advertisement