Lettuces sentence example
- The chief crops grown for early supplies, or " primeurs " as they are called, are special varieties of cos and cabbage lettuces, short carrots, radishes, turnips, cauliflowers, endives, spinach, onions, corn salad and celery.
- In the early stages seeds of carrots and radishes are sown simultaneously on the same beds, and over them young lettuces that have been raised in advance are planted.
- Thus with the genial warmth and moisture of the hotbeds, all crops grow rapidly, but the radishes mature first, then the lettuces are taken off in due course, thus leaving the beds to finish up with the carrots by themselves.
- Spinach, corn salad, radishes and carrots are the favourite crops for sowing between others such as lettuces and cauliflowers.
- Protect broccoli as it becomes fit for use, or remove to a dry shed or cellar; lettuces and endive, which are best planted in frames; and parsley in frames so as to be accessible.Advertisement
- Sow broccoli and kidney-beans both in the second and in the last week, and lettuces and small salads twice or thrice during the month; sow all herbs, if not done last month.
- There were green crops such as clover, and lentils, peas, beans, radishes, onions, lettuces (as a vegetable and for oil), castor oil and flax were grown.
- The larvae of this worm are also directly swallowed, and infection probably takes place through water, or possibly through lettuces and watercress.
- Bottled beer stood under a shelf, and there were two bags of haricot beans and some limp lettuces.
- This effect was not observed in glasshouse-grown lettuces where similar varieties are grown all year round.Advertisement
- Nitrate concentrations were therefore higher in the winter months compared with greenhouse lettuces grown during the summer.
- The first red oak leaf lettuces from River Nene Organic Farm are now going into the boxes along with wet garlic.
- Hard by is the kitchen garden (o), the beds bearing the names of the vegetables growing in them, onions, garlic, celery, lettuces, poppy, carrots, cabbages, &c., eighteen in all.
- Protect endive, celery, artichoke and sea-kale with stable-litter or fern, or by planting the former in frames; take up late cauliflower, early broccoli and lettuces, and place them in sheltered pits or lay them in an open shed; earth up celery; manure and dress up asparagus beds.
- For leaf crops, consider broccoli, leaf lettuces, mustard greens and spinach.Advertisement
- Recent innovations and introductions include new colors of sunflowers, zinnias, and petunias, as well as improved varieties of green beans, lettuces that withstand hot summers, and more.