Let-slip sentence example
- Depretis, anxious only to avoid a policy of adventure, let slip whatever opportunity may have presented itself, and neglected even to deal energetically with the impotent but mischievous Italian agitation for a rectification of the Italo-Austrian frontier.
- For a long time the Austrian government, by failing to keep the Danube in a proper state for navigation, let slip the opportunity of making the city the great Danubian metropolis which its geographical position entitles it to be.
- Historical scholars ridiculed his mistakes, and Freeman, the most violent of his critics, never let slip a chance of hitting at him in the Saturday Review.
- The negotiations for the Leicester marriage were prolonged till March 1565, when Elizabeth had let slip on Mary Henry Darnley (the young son of Lennox, who himself had been allowed to return to Scotland), and at the same time made it clear that she had never been honest in offering Leicester.
- Had Ibrahim marched at once against Kufa he might have crushed Mansur, but he let slip the opportunity.Advertisement
- The mildest of men, a crowned monk, who let slip the reins of government from his hands while he busied himself in prayer and church building, he lowered the kingly power to a depth to which it had never sunk before in England.
- A state television announcer let slip the news that ' catastrophic moods ' had seized hold of the campaign staff.
- But beyond that is anyone's guess, although Devonshire did let slip that injury doubt Brian Connor would be considered, if fit.
- The count remembered the wolf he had let slip and his encounter with Daniel.