Lemming sentence example
- The reindeer, arctic fox (Canis lagopus), hare, wolf, lemming (Myodes obensis), collar lemming (Cuniculus torquatus) and two species of voles (Arvicolae) are the most common on land.
- The circumpolar lemmings of the genera Lemmus and Dicrostonyx are noticed in the article Lemming.
- When was the last time you saw a cobra trying to find a cure for mongooses, or a lemming trying to prevent cliffs?
- Flocks of geese and other birds come to the islands from the north (Bunge and Toll), as also the gull Lestris pomarina, which feeds chiefly on the lemming.
- Pressing Escape will restart the level from scratch, and clicking on the right mouse button will turn any lemming carrying an object red.Advertisement
- Once your first lemming from the lower entrance is up to the first " strip of metal, get him mining.
- Once he's home, get your second lemming out of its hole by building in alternate directions.
- In some South American field mice and the Scandinavian wood lemming, XY females are commonplace.
- The land mammals of Greenland are decidedly more American than European; the musk-ox, the banded lemming (Cuniculus torquatus), the white polar wolf, of which there seems to have been a new invasion recently round the northern part of the country to the east coast, the Eskimo and the dog - probably also the reindeer - have all come from America, while the other land mammals, the polar bear, the polar fox, the Arctic hare, the stoat (Mustela erminea), are perfectly circumpolar forms. The species of seals and whales are, if anything, more American than European, and so to some extent are the fishes.
- The circumstance which has given popular interest to the lemming is that certain districts of the cultivated lands of Norway and Sweden, where in ordinary circumstances they are unknown, are, at uncertain intervals varying from five to twenty or more years, overrun by an army of these little creatures, which steadily and slowly advance, always in the same direction, and regardless of all obstacles, swimming streams and even lakes of several miles in breadth, and committing considerable devastation on their line of march by the quantity of food they consume.Advertisement
- Characteristic of the high mountainous region are the arctic fox, the glutton and the lemming, whose singular intermittent migrations to the lowlands have a considerable temporary influence on the distribution of beasts and birds of prey.
- Still, the reindeer frequents it for its lichens, and on the drier slopes of the moraine deposits there occur four species of lemming, hunted by the Arctic fox (Vulpes lagopus).
- In their turn they are pursued and harassed by crowds of beasts The Norwegian Lemming (Lemmus Norvegicus).