Lemmas sentence example
- Halley added in his edition (1710) a restoration of Book viii., in which he was guided by the fact that Pappus gives lemmas "to the seventh and eighth books" under that one heading, as well as by the statement of Apollonius himself that the use of the seventh book was illustrated by the problems solved in the eighth.
- Pappus then enumerates works of Euclid, Apollonius, Aristaeus and Eratosthenes, thirty-three books in all, the substance of which he intends to give, with the lemmas necessary for their elucidation.
- In 1749 was published Apollonii Pergaei locorum planorum libri II., a restoration of Apollonius's lost treatise, founded on the lemmas given in the seventh book of Pappus's Mathematical Collection.
- Of the eight books which made up his original treatise, only seven are certainly known, the first four in the original Greek, the next three are found in Arabic translations, and the eighth was restored by Edmund Halley in 1710 from certain introductory lemmas of Pappus.
- Standard results about normal forms, pumping lemmas, etc., are used to chart the scope and limits of the context-free grammars.Advertisement
- These words mostly fulfill syntactic functions; they have elaborate lemmas but lean lexical concepts.
- We do know three lemmas contained in The Porisms since Diophantus refers to them in the Arithmetica.
- The answers use some simple lemmas which are not given in the book.
- (9) A Collection of Lemmas, consisting of fifteen propositions in plane geometry.