Legume sentence example
- Most plants from the legume family have the ability to "fix" nitrogen, making them perfect choices for companion planting.
- The soil inoculant is the bacteria that legume roots incorporate to make their own nitrogen.
- Probably the first cultivated legume, sometimes linked with wheat and barley, which may have been domesticated at around the same time.
- However, peas, like any other legume, contain substances that are not desirable for an infant formula.
- White clover has been an important constituent of fodder since the 17th century and is the most important pasture legume in Britain.Advertisement
- Field beans and peas are the main grain legume crops in the UK with, between them, around 250,000 ha grown.
- Crop and pasture legume suitability varied with soil type, so regional diversity was more readily apparent.
- Hippocrepis comosa is a nitrogen-fixing legume and prefers soils that are deficient in nitrogen.
- Also important for symbiotic nitrogen fixation is a specialized set of cytochromes required for respiration in the low oxygen concentration found in legume nodules.
- The legume symbiont, Sinorhizobium meliloti, is tremendously important for fixing nitrogen from the air into plant roots and the soil.Advertisement
- The Rhizobium group is studying the bacterial and legume genes involved in establishing and maintaining the symbiosis.
- Rhizobium bacteria in the nodules fix atmospheric nitrogen and make it available to the legume plant.
- The peanut isn't actually a nut - it is a legume.
- Each seed is contained in a separate cavity by the folding inwards of thewalls of the legume at equal intervals; the legume, when ripe,separates transversely into single-seeded portions.