Legislative-body sentence example
- As a legislative body the powers of the Council are co-ordinate with those of the Duma; in practice, however, it has seldom if ever initiated legislation.6 The Duma of the Empire or Imperial Duma (Gosudarstvennaya Duma), which forms the Lower House of the Russian parliament, consists (since the ukaz of the znd of June 1907) on the 27th of April 1906, while the name and princi p le of autocracy was jealously preserved, the word " unlimited " vanished.
- No sane person would suppose that the minutes of a modern legislative body explain the steps by which legislation has been passed, or the issues really involved.
- Above the great council came the senate, the deliberative and legislative body par excellence.
- Nevertheless, when the trial proceeded, he voted with the majority which declared Louis to be guilty, but recommended that the penalty should be postponed until the cessation of hostilities, and that the sentence should then be ratified by the Convention or by some other legislative body.
- It is the legislative body of Friends in Great Britain.Advertisement
- It met every year, sometimes twice a year, during Sigismund's reign, and was no longer, as in the days of Louis the Great, merely a consultative council, but a legislative body in partnership with the king.
- The Biirgerschaft consists of 150 (formerly 300) representatives, chosen by the citizens for six years, and forms the legislative body.
- In 1840 the Althing was re-established as an advisory, not as a legislative body.
- From August 1775 until the summer of 1777 he was the president of the council, which had then become to a greater extent than formerly an executive as well as a legislative body.
- This assembly seems to have been already in existence at the epoch of the Twelve Tables in 451 B.C., its electoral activity is perhaps attested in 447 B.C., and it appears as a legislative body in 357 B.C.Advertisement
- It was not frequently employed as a legislative body after the two assemblies of the tribes, which were easier to summon and organize, had been recognized as possessing sovereign rights.
- It is the expression of the ultimate sovereignty of the people, and its existence gives to the working both of the Federal government and of the several state governments, a certain fixify and uniformity which the European, and especially the British, reader must constantly bear in mind, because under such a constitution every legislative body enjoys far scantier powers than in the United Kingdom and most European countries.
- The Bavarian constitution is mainly founded on the constitutional act of the 26th of May 1818, modified by subsequent acts - that of the 9th of March 1828 as affecting the upper house, and those of the 4th of June 1848 and of the 21st of March 1881 as affecting the lower - and is a limited monarchy, with a legislative body of two houses.
- The legislative body is the common council composed of two houses, each having as many members as there are wards in the city-14 in 1908.
- Roosevelt signed an act establishing the civil government of the Philippines and providing for a new legislative body.Advertisement
- Parliament is the highest legislative body in the land and is elected by direct universal suffrage and personal secret ballot.
- The constitution comprised a consulla charged with executive duties, a legislative body of 150 members and a court charged with the maintenance of the fundamental laws.
- There is no legislative body in any of these political divisions, nor any administrative official directly representing the people, with this exception: under the law of the 22nd of December 1891, municipalities, or communes, are created and invested with certain specified powers of local government affecting local police services, sanitation, local improvements, primary instruction, industrial and business regulations, &c.; they are authorized to borrow money for sanitary improvements, road-making, education, &c., and to impose certain specified taxes for their support; these municipalities elect their own alcaldes, or mayors, and municipal councils, the latter having legislative powers within the limits of the law mentioned.