Legionary sentence example
- The legionary fortresses were large rectangular others, principally (it seems) forts built before 150, wood is used freely and only the few principal buildings seem to have been constructed throughout of stone.
- 48, but a legionary fortress (Isca Silurum, Caerleon) was planted in their midst and by A.D.
- The emperor returned to Rome and celebrated a triumph (233), but next year he was called to face German invaders in Gaul, where he was slain (on the 18th or 10th of March 235), together with his mother, in a mutiny which was probably led by Maximinus, a Thracian legionary, and at any rate secured him the throne.
- As Isca Silurum, it was one of the three great legionary fortresses of Roman Britain, established either about A.D.
- Join a Viking training school and meet a Roman legionary.Advertisement
- They were based, like many fascist ranking systems, on the Roman Legionary model, with a main being four men and one leader, a dizaine being two mains, three dizaines forming a trentaine, and so forth.
- His father began as a common legionary soldier, and fought his way up to the consulship and the governorship of Asia.
- Legionary fortresses were established at Wroxeter (for a time only), Chester and Caerleon, facing the Welsh hills, and at Lincoln in the northeast.
- Adiutrix, and achieved the final subjugation of Wales and the first conquest of Yorkshire, where a legionary fortress at York was substituted for that at Lincoln.
- Significantly it lay outside the legionary fortress that formed the original colonia even if subsequently it was to be incorporated within the town.Advertisement
- One of the most important sites in Roman Britain, Caerleon housed a legionary fortress, the base for the 2nd Augustan Legion.
- The new wooden minster built by Edwin at York lay within what had been the headquarters building of the Roman legionary fortress.
- The commander is a ' legionary legate ', always a senator.
- Ribchester is brought to life by dramatic displays including a lifesize cavalryman and roman legionary.