Left-atrium sentence example
- There are likewise two pulmonary veins, entering the left atrium by one orifice.
- The blood arrives back to the left atrium of the heart via the pulmonary veins.
- Chronic coughing is a common presentation due to the large left atrium pressing on the airways.
- This forces blood into the left atrium right atrium left ventricle right ventricle which then contracts.
- This abnormal opening is called an atrial septal defect and causes blood from the left atrium to flow (or "shunt") across the hole into the right atrium.Advertisement
- If the defect is large, oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium flows back into the right atrium and gets pumped back to the lungs again, causing more work for the heart and lungs.
- If the heart has an opening between the atria, oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium enters the right atrium.
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous return is a condition in which the pulmonary veins that bring oxygen-rich blood from the lungs back to the heart are not connected to the left atrium.
- Mitral valve prolapse-A heart defect in which the mitral valve of the heart (which normally controls blood flow from the left atrium to the left ventricle) becomes floppy.