Leda sentence example
- A system of waterways (the Geeste and Hadelner canals, meeting one another at Bederkesa) connects the estuary of the Weser with that of the Elbe; a canal between the Hunte and the Leda gives connexion with the Ems. On the upper Weser (above Bremen) the navigation, which is interrupted by occasional rapids, is assisted by locks and weirs.
- The three chief rivers of the province are the Elbe in the north-east, where it mainly forms the boundary and receives the navigable tributaries Jeetze, Ilmenau, Seve, Este, Luhe, Schwinge and Medem; the Weser in the centre, with its important tributary the Aller (navigable from Celle downwards); and in the west the Ems, with its tributaries the Aa and the Leda.
- To this time may also belong a lost Leda, standing upright with the god in swan's guise at her side and the four children near their feet.
- Among the paintings exhibited by the artist are a " Venus," to which was awarded a medal in 1883, " Leda " (1884), and " Michaelangelo studying Anatomy " (1885) - his most dramatic work in this medium.
- In Greek mythology, Gemini referred to the constellation which consists of Castor and Pollux who were the twin sons of Zeus by mortal mother Leda.Advertisement