Leathern sentence example
- The "Luck of Eden Hall," which has been celebrated in a ballad by the duke of Wharton, and in a second ballad written by Uhland, the German poet, and translated by Longfellow, is an enamelled goblet, kept in a leathern case dating from the times of Henry IV.
- Round the waist over the tunic was worn a leathern girdle having a broad iron buckle damascened with silver.
- A leathern tongue (lingula) is often seen to project from beneath the straps..
- On the king's birthday each bedesman received a new blue gown, a loaf, a bottle of ale, and a leathern purse containing a penny for every year of the king's life.
- Besides the large trade carried on there are native manufactories of cloth, carpets and leathern articles.Advertisement
- Detached from these, and separated entirely from the monastic buildings, were various workshops, which convenience required to be banished to the outer precincts, a saw-mill and oil-mill (UU) turned by water, and a currier's shop (V), where the sandals and leathern girdles of the monks were made and repaired.
- It is of two pieces, the upper part and the sole, sewn together with leathern threads.
- 2 Another legend is that contained in the preface to theRegister or Black Book of the order, compiled in the reign of Henry VIII., by what authority supported is unknown, that Richard I., while his forces were employed against Cyprus and Acre, had been inspired through the instrumentality of St George with renewed courage and the means of animating his fatigued soldiers by the device of tying about the legs of a chosen number of knights a leathern thong or garter, to the end that being thereby reminded of the honour of their enterprise they might be encouraged to redoubled efforts for victory.
- He then ordered leathern covers to be thrown upon the dying men, and had the banquet served upon them.
- On the contrary, a genial warmth prevails, inducing the inhabitants to discard flannel-lined leathern capotes and fur caps for lighter garments.Advertisement
- Sir John's colors, and a leathern doublet, weighing 11 pounds, worn by him, are still preserved.
- The camel's hair garment speaks of separation; the leathern girdle of a certain severity of restraint on himself, restraint upon nature.
- The sea came to the help of the depopulated land, and Danish pirates, Widukinds old allies, came in their leathern boats to harry the coasts of t~ e North Sea and the Channel.
- Instead, he drew a leathern case from his pocket and took from it several sharp knives, which he joined together, one after another, until they made a long sword.
- Day and night, long processions of all classes and ages, headed by priests carrying crosses and banners, perambulated the streets in double file, reciting prayers and drawing the blood from their bodies with leathern thongs.Advertisement
- First, he made a number of leathern tubes the ends of which he contrived to fix among the joists and flooring of a fine upper-room in which Zeno entertained his friends, and then subjected it to a miniature earthquake by sending steam through the tubes.
- Formerly, when floods resulted from this obstruction, the townsfolk of Helston acquired the right of clearing a passage through it by presenting leathern purses containing three halfpence to the lord of the manor.