Leaf-cutting sentence example
- In tropical countries ants sometimes make their nests in the hollow thorns of trees or on leaves; species with this habit are believed to make a return to the tree for the shelter that it affords by protecting it from the ravages of other insects, including their own leaf-cutting relations.
- - Leaf-cutting and Foraging Ants.
- An interesting species of the last is the leaf-cutting ant (Eciton) which lives in large underground colonies and feeds upon a fungus produced by leaf-cuttings stored in subterranean passages to promote fermentation.
- Still more curious is the mimicry of another of these insects from Venezuela which is found in company with a leaf-cutting ant (Oecodoma cephalotes) of that country.
- spadicigera, the large thorn-like stipules are hollow and afford shelter for ants, which feed on a secretion of honey on the leaf-stalk and curious food-bodies at the tips of the leaflets; in return they protect the plant against leaf-cutting insects.Advertisement
- Worker caste polymorphism has a genetic basis in a leaf-cutting ant.
- worker caste polymorphism has a genetic basis in a leaf-cutting ant.
- gland secretions of leaf-cutting ants: role in defense against alien fungi.
- Perhaps no ants have such remarkable habits as those of the genus Atta, - the leaf-cutting ants of tropical America (fig.