Lead dioxide sentence example
- The Kassner process for the manufacture of oxygen depends upon the formation of calcium plumbate, Ca2Pb04, by heating a mixture of lime and litharge in a current of air, decomposing this substance into calcium carbonate and lead dioxide by heating in a current of carbon dioxide, and then decomposing these compounds with the evolution of carbon dioxide and oxygen by raising the temperature.
- With water it forms a hydrate, and ultimately decomposes into lead dioxide and hydrochloric acid.
- Acids decompose it into lead dioxide and monoxide, and the latter may or may not dissolve to form a salt; red lead may, therefore, be regarded as lead orthoplumbate, Pb2Pb04.
- A simpler explanation is that the manganese dioxide first gives a normal sulphite which rearranges to dithionate, thus: Mn0 2 +2S0 2 = Mn(S03)2-MnS206, whilst the lead dioxide gives a basic sulphite which rearranges to sulphate, thus: PbO-l-S0 2 = PbOS03 - > PbS04.
- The formation of lead dioxide by the electrolysis of a lead solution, the anode being a lead plate coated with lead oxide or sulphate and the cathode a lead plate, is the fundamental principle of the storage cell (see Accumulator).Advertisement