Laying-siege sentence example
- as his successor; but Otto, returning and laying siege to the city, compelled their acceptance of Leo.
- Satyrus (431-387), the successor of Spartocus, established his rule over the whole district, adding Nymphaeum to his dominions and laying siege to Theodosia, which was a serious commercial rival by reason of its ice-free port and direct proximity to the cornfields of the eastern Crimea.
- A motley host, made up out of the tribes bordering on the Black Sea and the Caspian, hovered round his small army, but failed to hinder him from laying siege to the town.
- He wanted to make this his Cisalpine Gaul, laying siege to the Roman state on every hand, and preparing in the Concordat for t~ie moral and material servitude of the pope.
- But Memnon died at the critical moment whilst laying siege to Mytilene and the great plan collapsed.Advertisement