Laudanum sentence example
- Listen to this: Lola took the laudanum last evening.
- Similar procedures are used for the intestine, and one of the best methods of treating the diarrhoea consequent upon the presence of irritating substances in the intestinal canal is to give a dose of castor-oil together with a few drops of laudanum.
- Should she take laudanum, and end it, to have done with all hopes, schemes, debts, and triumphs?
- Every effort was made to conceal the fact of occasionally administering laudanum, but it was at length admitted.
- Thence till three, we labored with mustard poultices, laudanum, soda and ginger - Heavens!Advertisement
- Laudanum is an alcoholic tincture of opium that is given orally to treat diarrhea.
- The actual therapeutical resources of Paracelsus included a large number of metallic preparations, in the introduction of some of which he did good service, and, among vegetable preparations, the tincture of opium, still known by the name he gave it, laudanum.
- By means of the castor-oil the irritating substances are removed, and the laudanum which is mixed with the purgative soothes the intestine.
- Chronic opium poisoning by the taking of laudanum - as in the familiar case of De Quincey - need not be considered here, as the hypodermic injection of morphine has almost entirely supplanted it.
- The patient who has swallowed a toxic or lethal dose of laudanum, for instance, usually passes at once into the narcotic state, without any prior excitement.Advertisement
- In the milder varieties of this complaint, such as those occurring sporadically, and where the symptoms are probably due to matters in the bowels setting up the dysenteric irritation, the employment of diaphoretic medicines is to be recommended, and the administration of such a laxative as castor oil, to which a small quantity of laudanum has been added, will often, by removing the source of the mischief, arrest the attack; but a method of treatment more to be recommended is the use of salines in large doses, such as one drachm of sodium sulphate from four to eight times a day.