Latin-name sentence example
- Segesvar was founded by Saxon colonists at the end of the r 2th century; its Latin name was Castrum Sex.
- Linnaeus adopted Ray's conception of species, but he made species a practical reality by insisting that every species shall have a double Latin name - the first half to be the name of the genus common to several species, and the second half to be the specific name.
- The Latin name of Sicum is adopted in public inscriptions; but the city cannot be identified with the Roman colony of Sicum, which was probably situated farther south.
- 5 Yet, if the " caballarii " of the Capitularies are really the precursors of the later knights, it remains a difficulty that the Latin name for a knight is " miles," although " caballarius " became in various forms the vernacular designation.
- The Greek and Latin name was first used of the hermits, but was early widened to embrace the coenobites.Advertisement
- The origin of the Latin name secale, which exists in a modified form among the Basques and Bretons, is not explained.
- It would seem that the Iverni were the first native tribe with whom foreign traders came in contact, as it is from them that the Latin name for the whole island is derived.
- It can be browsed by category, or searched by common or Latin name.
- The Latin name for fifth disease is erythema infectiosum, meaning infectious redness.
- The word pica comes from the Latin name for magpie, a bird known for its unusual and indiscriminate eating habits.Advertisement
- The Gemini symbol corresponds to the Gemini constellation, which has been given the Latin name for "twins".
- The name comes from Gedanum, the Latin name of Danzig.