Laocoon sentence example
- Laocoon >>
- The sculptors of the Laocoon are among the priests of Athena Lindia, whose names are recorded by inscriptions.
- The Iliu Persis, again, was the oldest authority for the story of Laocoon and of the consequent escape of Aeneas - a story which connected a surviving branch of the house of Priam with the later inhabitants of the Troad.
- LAOCOON, in Greek legend a brother of Anchises, who had been a priest of Apollo, but having profaned the temple of the god he and his two sons were attacked by serpents while preparing to sacrifice a bull at the altar of Poseidon, in whose service Laocoon was then acting as priest.
- He prefers the marble Laocoon in the palace of Titus to all the pictures and bronzes in the world (xxxvi.Advertisement
- Among others of the name may be mentioned (3) Athenodorus Of Teos, who played the cithara at the wedding of Alexander the Great and Statira at Susa (324 B.C.); (4) a Greek physician of the 1st century A.D., who wrote on epidemic diseases; and two sculptors, of whom (5) one executed the statues of Apollo and Zeus which the Spartans dedicated at Delphi after Aegospotami; and (6) the other was a son of Alexander of Rhodes, whom he helped in the Laocoon group.
- 199 sq.), and as it is represented in the marble group, the Laocoon, in the Vatican.
- The date of the Laocoon being now fixed (see Agesander) to 40-20 B.C., there can be no question of copying Virgil.
- "Nicholas, when did you break your cameo?" she asked to change the subject, looking at his finger on which he wore a ring with a cameo of Laocoon's head.
- Such, too, in the Cypria are the new legendary figures - Palamedes, Iphigenia, Telephus, Laocoon.Advertisement
- He gave himself, therefore, to humanistic studies and acquired reputation as a Latin poet, his best-known piece being one on the group of Laocoon.